TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

told my therapist - June 13th 2011, 09:22 PM

So for the past few months I've had a really hard time. Whenever I was feeling suicidal I would take a vicodin or percocet, and this usually would make me happy and help me get through the dangerous time. Well, I'm now out and I want to stop. I told my therapist today, and she was not judgemental. But she is going to tell my psychiatrist, who I just started with and have only seen two times. I'm so worried about the judgement or how this will affect what medication she puts me on. I'm not an addict, I just needed to use them for both physical and emotional pain. I don't know how to approach my psychiatrist on Thursday. I'm just really worried about what she's going to say.

What are your past experiences with telling people, if you have? I'm just hoping to set my mind at ease

God, grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Meowwings Offline
Bri;)
Not a n00b

Name: Briauna Hansen

Re: told my therapist - June 13th 2011, 10:37 PM

No past experiences. But I can say that they went through years and years of trainng to help you and to figure out how to help you be the best you physically and mentally. If you tell her your story and give her your honest feelings about the situation , things could be resolved with much better results.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

Re: told my therapist - June 14th 2011, 07:11 PM

you just need to be open and tell her everything and don't hold back at all she needs to know so she can help you the best she can

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Send a message via Yahoo to BethanyAnn Send a message via Skype™ to BethanyAnn 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TiredBrownEyes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Vanessa

Re: told my therapist - June 16th 2011, 10:01 PM

I told one of my teachers, a guidance counsellor and my social worker. I couldn't really look my teacher in the eye after that for a while, but things cleared up. I didn't go to talk to them after that until recently. My guidance counsellor was, and is, there for me every step of the way. They're super supportive, and very helpful. My social worker can't for the life of him remember what it is I take, which can be annoying at times but he still tries to help and talks me through certain things that he's more experienced with then the others.

I'm pretty sure my guidance counsellor was the most helpful out of that experience I had, but the three of them were helpful to their own degree.

For your doctor, like the others said, just tell her everything. And you have to be honest if she asks you how much and how often, just incase for other medication or just so she can help you to the best of her ability. Don't worry about it though, you'll do awesome and you'll get the support.

Proud of ya for telling your therapist. And good luck with your meeting.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Re: told my therapist - June 16th 2011, 10:44 PM

Hey there! I want to thank you all for your support. So, I saw my psychiatrist today, and it actually went really well. She wasn't mad, she was REALLY understanding. I'm really glad I told her. Thank you all so much!

God, grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know that difference.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TiredBrownEyes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Vanessa

Re: told my therapist - June 16th 2011, 10:57 PM

Oh yay! I'm glad to hear it went so well!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: told my therapist - June 16th 2011, 11:00 PM

I've never been in your exact situation before, but I have had experiences with telling my therapist and psychiatrist about self harm. And one thing I've learned is that people in the mental health profession are not going to judge you. They have seen a lot of people with a lot of different problems, and judgement is the last the last thing that they are going to pass on you. They are there to help, not to judge you for your mistakes or your coping mechanisms. You deserve help, so don't let the fear of being judged prevent you from telling these people what you need to. You'll regret it if you keep these things inside and away from others who can help.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

Closed Thread