TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hazelnut Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Above the influence... - March 11th 2009, 02:39 AM

A lot of people at my school smoke pot, and I really want to try it. My friends are against it, and I used to be, but now I want to see what the big deal is. My friends have tried convincing me not to smoke it, but it doesn't work. Can anyone convince me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Above the influence... - March 11th 2009, 02:40 AM

Nobody can convince you to smoke or not to smoke. You have to decide for yourself that you don't want to.
Figure out what is the right thing for you. Obviously, we aren't going to tell you to go and do drugs but even if we tell you not to, if you really want to do it... you will.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hazelnut Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Above the influence... - March 11th 2009, 02:42 AM

Would it be so bad if I try it once? Is it easy to get addicted to pot?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Above the influence... - March 11th 2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
I can't answer that. I've never done pot and I don't plan on it. I wouldn't suggest doing it, but that's my own opinion.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: Above the influence... - March 11th 2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Research! Don't do any drug unless you know what to expect. While marijuana is not physically addictive, it can become habitual and very hard to give up.

Also, keep in mind marijuana is illegal and depending on where you live there could be serious consequences if you are caught. You could end up getting suspended or even expelled from school as well as other legal ramifications.

If you choose to blaze also keep in mind you will have to deal with your friends' reactions.

Nobody but you can decide if you will end up smoking pot, if you choose to do so make sure you're smart and safe about it!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Above the influence... - March 11th 2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
It's not physically addictive. I wouldn't recommend doing it seeing as there are risks involved.

One of the main problems with Marijuana is that it's seen as a gateway drug to other, harder drugs like cocaine and heroin. I'm not saying that you would go on to these, but it does happen, and the majority of drug addicts start off on Marijuana.

Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals. Smoking a marijuana cigarette deposits about three to five times more tar into the lungs than one filtered tobacco cigarette. It can also increase your heart rate, increasing your risk of heart attack by 4 times in the first hour after smoking.

There are often mental health problems associated with Marijuana. Some of these are anxiety, panic attacks, depression and social withdrawl. It can also cause short term memory loss and distorted perception. In some cases even hallucinations also.

I'm not going to tell you.. "omgg don't do ittt!!" because it's quite likely that if you want to do it, then you'll do it anyway, however, it's a myth that smoking pot is without risk.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hotcakes75 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

March 11th 2009, 10:25 PM

Hey first post here, i managed to come across this thread and would like to impart some knowledge from my own research which i believe will help you make an informed decision.

First of all I would like to expand upon some of the statements in the preceding post.

Quote:
One of the main problems with Marijuana is that it's seen as a gateway drug to other, harder drugs like cocaine and heroin. I'm not saying that you would go on to these, but it does happen, and the majority of drug addicts start off on Marijuana.
The status of marijuana as a "gateway drug" is largely due to its illegality, not any inherent property. That being said, you are at risk for moving on to harder drugs, but if you're smart about it you'll know when to say no to drugs which are physically addictive and extremely detrimental to one's health after prolonged use.

Quote:
Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals. Smoking a marijuana cigarette deposits about three to five times more tar into the lungs than one filtered tobacco cigarette. It can also increase your heart rate, increasing your risk of heart attack by 4 times in the first hour after smoking.
The quantity of chemicals is an irrelevant statistic, the quality and types of chemicals is what counts. While I don't have the information on all those chemicals, I can tell you that cigarettes also have massive amounts of chemicals and cause cancer, while cannabinoids have been shown to actually revert and hinder cancerous tumor growth. You tell me which chemicals are more beneficial to your health.

One of the major cons to marijuana use is the tar deposited from inhaling burning plant matter. Indeed, more tar is deposited when smoking one marijuana compared to one tobacco cigarette, due to keeping the smoke in the lungs for longer periods of time. But smokers often smoke many more cigarettes throughout the day compared to a marijuana user (often due to addiction). One can circumvent the process of completely by simply using a vaporizer, which vaporizes the THC crystals without burning plant matter when used properly.

Increased heart rate is often a concern, but when complemented by lowered blood pressure, this poses no real risk to anyone who doesn't already have a history of heart problems. Also, tolerance is developed to this rather quickly.

Quote:
There are often mental health problems associated with Marijuana. Some of these are anxiety, panic attacks, depression and social withdrawl.
I haven't come across hard evidence confirming or denying this, but I'm willing to bet that, like the heart attack concern, most of the reported cases of these mental illness stemming from marijuana occur in patients with preexisting conditions. Mind-altering substances are definitely not for unstable people.

Quote:
It can also cause short term memory loss and distorted perception. In some cases even hallucinations also.
Anecdotally, i can tell you that STML is a bitch :/, it will definitely happen when to those who are high, and if used frequently enough will cause STML when sober as well. Hallucinations usually only occur when mixing with other drugs.

Just as a warning, xxEllexx, these facts that you posted can also be found on the DEA website, and here's what else the DEA has to say:

Quote:
The Institute of Medicine conducted a comprehensive study in 1999 to assess the potential health benefits of marijuana and its constituent cannabinoids. The study concluded that smoking marijuana is not recommended for the treatment of any disease condition.
Try telling that to people with glaucoma, arthritis, frequent spasms, back pains, AIDS etc.

Back on topic here, I advise you to first try smoking with a friend or acquaintance you trust who knows what they are doing.

Note that doing any drug once will most likely not have long-term health effects. Before you say anything, I would like to say that the obvious exceptions are overdose and addiction. Trying crystal meth once won't shut your body down and instantly kill you, but it is extremely addictive which makes trying it only once nearly impossible. Therefore, if a substance is not physically addictive and at low-risk for overdose, such as marijuana, using it only once should not be a concern.

If you do start to use it frequently, remember that marijuana use is not the same as marijuana abuse. Using good judgment and common sense can diffuse many potential dangers and bad habits.

If you wish to conduct your own research, there are many resources you can choose from. I recommend erowid.org , a reputable drug encylopedia which is also stickied in this forum.

I hope I addressed most of your concerns, and remember, the decision is ultimately up to you. No pressure

Whoa! Didn't see that you were 14 years old. I don't mean to scare you but you are much more likely to steer down the wrong path, so be sure to pick the right crowd to smoke with. You might even consider waiting a few years before you try it, as you are still relatively fragile because you are still developing.

Last edited by Hotcakes75; March 11th 2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Double post - merge

(#8 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Above the influence... - March 15th 2009, 09:25 PM

Honey, if you don't even know the effects of pot and whether or not it's addictive, you're obviously in no way shape or form ready to begin smoking. And your friends shouldn't dictate your actions. Only look out for you. In my opinion, since I smoke every week it's done nothing to harm me and it usually doesn't for most of the people who smoke it. It's just made into something much worse in our society than it really is.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug. People just use that as an excuse for their actions. They may want to try a stronger high because pot isn't doing it for them anymore, but it's up to the person to decided whether or not they want to do more drugs. Marijuana doesn't make them do anything. I tried hard drugs before marijuana, and since smoking pot, that's pretty much the only "drug" i use.

Closed Thread