TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Raylolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rachael

My story: Think Before You Drink - July 8th 2011, 10:09 PM

Hi everyone,

Earlier today I posted a thread titled "Uh Oh Alchohol." And after some thinking I have decided it is best I don't drink. I feel like I need to share my stories with others. I don't think it's a good idea to go posting it on my personal blog or Facebook though. So, here it is:

Everyone has a different perception on drugs and alcohol. Itís much like the complex differing perceptions that people have about others. I could examine the pros and cons of drugs and alcohol, but I feel that itís necessary to tell nothing but the truth in this entry. Here, you will read about some of my experiences with drugs and alcohol. No names or places will be mentioned. This entry is simply the facts that gave me my perceptions. Yours may differ, so be it, but even so I ask that you continue to read, because you just might learn something.
On Average, kids start drinking at the age of thirteen. And I will tell no lies. That is the exact age I started. Perhaps it was because I had some friends a couple years older than me. Perhaps it was because of the things I was going through at the time. I may never know, but throughout the years I have gradually (most recently) learned that drinking is a bad thing.
Let me first explain what I was going through at the age of thirteen. Someone was high off of marijuana every day. This was a person I had to be around every day. This was a person that caused fights to break out every day due to the disapproval of a few others. Witnessing all these horrible things made me grow enormously against pot. I had seen exactly what pot could do to people and others around them. And so, to this day, I am against it. No, I do not hate people who smoke pot, rather, I hate pot itself. While Iím not religious, maybe itís one of those ďhate the sin, not the sinnerĒ kind of things. I hate the pot and not the one smoking it.
So, maybe alcohol was a way that I could have fun. And I did. There was no question about it. But things could get dangerous. And I learned that pretty quickly. At times I got caught drinking with a couple of my friends. Then Iíd be grounded for a week which at 13 (or give a few years) felt like an eternity. But I still didnít stop. People swam drunk. But I still didnít stop. People passed out in yards. But I still didnít stop. People threw up. But I still didnít stop. People ate leaves (yes, leaves). But I still didnít stop. You get the idea. There was nothing that could stop me from drinking. That is until recently.
Let me share with you my past two experiences. They are THE experiences which have convinced me to never drink again.
I risk my reputation, I risk my friends, and I risk other things I probably cannot even think of. But the truth must come out. If someone reading this does not recognize how dangerous alcohol can be, I am saving you from learning it the hard way. And so here goes the first of those experiences.
It was fun. Yes, fun to me, but not so much for others. Iím not going into detail about what I drank. Iím already going to hurt my reputation admitting these things. I got very drunk. I am a lesbian, but it got so bad I was hitting on guys. I was crying into a pillow screaming that I was all alone. I was walking up to people saying ďhow you doing?!Ē I almost called my ex to come over. Gosh, the list goes on and on. But I think the worst part about it is that I hurt people. A couple of my friends cried. One of them had an alcoholic father, but alcohol can make a person VERY inconsiderate. And she cried. She cried a lot. To this day, I still feel terrible about it. But, I did not lose my friend. If I had, I donít know what I would have done. If someone would have told me Iíd upset my friend if I drank, I would not have. What Iím saying is that friendships are more important than alcohol.
Now, the second experience wasnít even fun. It was just bad. I became very depressed, emotional, and honest. I told the people I was with things that they really shouldnít have ever known. Things that Iíd kept inside for a reason, but that my intoxicated state had blown. One of my friends threw up a couple of times. She had everyone worried, because she wasnít breathing right. We thought we might have to take her to the hospital. I cannot express how grateful I am that she turned out to be perfectly fine and we did not need to take her there.
Between those two experiences and then some, I have done many things I shouldnít have. I've hurt people. I've upset people. I've had to sleep in and pick up throw up. Iíve had my sexuality do a switch-a-roo on me. And Iím lucky that I havenít lost friends.
The bottom line of all this is that alcohol is not a good thing. At least it is not for me. And I do hope that whoever reads this might consider living a life free of alcohol. You never know what it can do to yourself or others. I consider myself lucky. Why? I still have all my friends and my friend who could not breathe is still alive. And for me to go and drink again would be insanity. I am done. And if you think you wonít ever be this bad when youíre drunk, my advice to you is that you do not find out. Donít drink. If you do, donít think itís not possible that you will one day get this bad. What good is alcohol if it can cause so much pain to others as well as yourself? Think before you drink.

IF YOU ARE SUICIDAL, PLEASE KNOW THAT IT GETS BETTER:
CLICK TO WATCH MY VIDEO

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kristen♡ Offline
A puzzle in the making
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kristen

Re: My story: Think Before You Drink - July 13th 2011, 07:24 PM

Rachael, I really admire you for posting this! I'm sure this will help and inspire many people that read this. Bottom line- I'm sorry you went through all of the things you did, but you've learned, and we're all very proud of that! I hope very much you can stay away from alcohol. <3

I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons.
And maybe weíll never know most of them.
But even if we donít have the power to choose where we come from,
we can still choose where we go from there.
We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

PM|VM|EMAIL
Colyn Riley ♥

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: My story: Think Before You Drink - July 13th 2011, 08:39 PM

Lovely post. I think I might keep a link, and whenever someone tells me "You say you don't drink or do drugs ever, big deal you're only 13" I will show this post to them.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Raylolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rachael

Re: My story: Think Before You Drink - July 14th 2011, 04:20 AM

I am glad that you both enjoyed it and do hope that you pass it on. It's an important thing that people should see. And if I could somehow anonymously show it to all my friends and family, I certainly would.

IF YOU ARE SUICIDAL, PLEASE KNOW THAT IT GETS BETTER:
CLICK TO WATCH MY VIDEO

Closed Thread