TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elle Ater-Rosa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Quitting smoking..........in theory - March 14th 2009, 08:15 AM

This is my first time being back since before the site crashed, but I needed help again. I'm not even sure this is the right board, but it's the closest one they have. I've finally decided to quit smoking......after 5 years. I set my quit date for the 19th but I'm a bit nervous now. Nobody believes I can do it. I'm starting to wonder if I can do it. I know I want to quit. I know my brain is ready to quit, but I'm not entirely sure my body is there with the rest of me. I just wish I knew more of what to expect. I know I'm going to be a complete bitch for a while until I get the cravings over with, but if I slip up, what do I do? Is it like when you stop SI where slip-ups are ok? Or does it mean you really screwed up and you're not getting back up? I want to do this so badly, I've quit all my other addictions except caffinee, and that I can't stop until after college. But I am really nervous about this. I don't want my friends to get a smug look if I screw up once and tell me they were right and I can't do it.........and I don't want to see the disappointment on the face of the one person who actually believes in me. Are these normal thoughts to be having? Is this my brain's way of convincing me to keep giving it nicotine? Or am I just that pathetic that I really am better off smoking than I am being healthy? GRRRR! Any and all advice or tips would be welcome. I really am trying to get prepared here, but it's not going too well. I don't know anybody who has actually ever quit smoking permanently, so I have nobody to talk to about this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Quitting smoking..........in theory - March 14th 2009, 03:15 PM

Firstly, i think it's great that you've decided to quit smoking. You say you've set the date at the 19th, i think it would be a good idea to try and cut down the cigarettes before then, so it's easier to ween yourself off them when it comes to quitting for good. It can be something that takes a while, so don't expect changes over night. And to answer your question about whether it's ok to slip up, of course it is. There are very few people who have managed to quit addictions first time with no slip ups. It's how you bounce back from those slip ups that are important.

I wouldn't get yourself overly concerned about what your friends opinions or attitudes towards you quitting, and possibly slipping up might be. This isn't about them, it's about you making a counscious decision to live a healthier life without your addiction to cigarettes. I would argue that if they're not prepared to support you in this that they're not particularly healthy friendships for you to have. If they do have negative input in your quitting, then just do your best to ignore them.

As for the actual quitting, there are many things that can help you with that. These include; Patch, Gum, Nasal spray, Inhalator and Lozenges. They're all equally effective in helping you to stop smoking, and can be combined.

Other things that are often suggested when quitting are; keeping a diary in the days coming up to your quit date, note what time it is when you're having a cigarette, who you're with, how you're feeling. Find an alternative; it's often difficult to keep your hands busy when you don't have the option of a cigarette, also it can be weird to not have something in your mouth. You might want to try chewing gum, or twiddling a paper clip in your hand.

Keep in mind that physical cravings will pass. After about four or five days there should be a noticeable difference in how much you're craving. A big benefit of quitting smoking is that you’ll be better off finanically. Cross off each day on a calendar and write down how much you've saved by not smoking. Or you could physically put the money aside.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
C-cyanide Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chesca

Re: Quitting smoking..........in theory - March 16th 2009, 06:07 PM

Elle is right, in this case you shouldnt be concerned with the reactions of your friends and what they think, this is your decision to Help yourself for your health and slip ups are a natural part of recovery, you just have to push past them to reach your overall goal.Even if you do slip up its a fantastic thing to see that youve made this decision on your own and your so determined not to let your addiction get to you.
The fact that youve overcome other addictions should help you to be motivated in believing you can overcome this one too.
And as elle has said there are many ways to help you control your cravings and to calm your mood and there are always people who can help you to find the best method for you.
I hope things are going well for you,dear.
Take care xx
  Send a message via MSN to C-cyanide  
Closed Thread