TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Valerian and Antihistamines? - July 29th 2011, 04:57 AM

So my mom got me some sleeping pills that will hopefully stop me from not being able to sleep till like 3 AM every night.

Problem is, I decided to look up valerian, the main ingredient of the pill, since I've heard of it before being used for various things. Then I found that apparently I'm not supposed to take them with antihistamines.

I take Reactine everyday in the morning for my allergies; will that interfere if I take the pills at night? Also, does anyone know any other risky side effects? I can't seem to find a straight or reliable answer and I'm still searching for one; if anyone has any info I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh, and, the pill also has lemon balm and passionflower, if anyone knows anything risky about those I'd be grateful too.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Valerian and Antihistamines? - August 1st 2011, 04:20 PM

im sure it would be fine, as the only real drug interactions i hear of with herbs are when people take 5-htp or st johns wort with an antidepressant. if the risk was severe, the valerian bottle would say (just like the 5 htp bottle says with antidepressants), "dont take with antihistamine". it would not simply say "dont take with prescription drugs" . that being said, im no doctor, and am not qualified to give that kind of advice, im saying its probably fine, i cross herbs all the times, even prescription drugs with illegal drugs. it probably wont kill you. but to be safe , you should ask the doctor .

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Valerian and Antihistamines? - August 3rd 2011, 01:27 AM

NO! That is not true, there are SO many other drug interactions besides people taking 5-htp or St. Johns Wort and anti-depressants.

I would give a call to your doctor and ask. It's better safe than sorry. Don't ever try mixing drugs if you're not 100% sure it's safe. And honestly, don't give advice if you're not for sure, especially saying "I'm sure it would be fine" because "I'm sure" isn't enough in a possible life or death situation. You don't mess with or toss your health up in the air because you "think" it's okay.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

Closed Thread