TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
metalheadjessus Offline
Average Joe

Question What made you start smoking? - November 4th 2011, 05:17 PM

I'm just curious really, as to how and why people may start smoking! Personally, i've only ever had a few drags but can't see myself making a habit of it, but that was due to most of the people around me, especially friends, doing it and I just wanted to try it, I guess, to see what all the hype was about. So, what made you start smoking?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 4th 2011, 07:46 PM

I started smoking (cannabis) in order to escape reality.

My ex boyfriend got me into it.

I feel I should point out that I don't smoke it anymore.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 4th 2011, 08:03 PM

I smoke cigarettes socially because I enjoy it and I smoke weed occasionally with friends to let loose and not worry/stress.

I don't do it much.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 4th 2011, 09:19 PM

I started to smoke (Weed) as a means to calm my anxiety when everything else failed, and also to to help me sleep and get my appetite back.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
vert_igo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Verti

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 5th 2011, 12:56 AM

The first time I was 16 and just very very curious to see what it was like. I didn't really get the hype. Didn't smoke again until I was 18 - almost 19. I liked smoking while I drank - but only did so occasionally. Then I moved to a city and was commuting back and forth(about a 3 hour drive, one way) ALOT during the move. I smoked because I was bored, needed something to do. Then it turned to a stress reliever. This summer was hugely stressful, and I ended up chainsmoking a lot. My lung capacity took a real hit and I live in a walk-up building, I smoked less than a year and was surprised at how fast it made my health decline.

Nowadays I still smoke, but not nearly as much as I did over the summer. It's weird, smoking does not give me a 'high' or affect my mood significantly - I rarely feel like I need a cigarette, I never felt addicted as I do to prescriptions - all I knew was that I like smoking. It's a passive sort of addiction, though. I usually smoke 1 or 2 a day now and my lung capacity improved, and . I don't want to quit - but I am going to. I'm young, and it's hard for me to recognize the consequences something might have on my health - but it was calculated that every cigarette takes approximately ten minutes off of your lifespan - not directly and absolutely, of course, but it's been broken down and added up that way - it really puts things in perspective.

Compared to where I'm from, smoking is 1000% more common here. Most of my roommates smoke. Nearly everyone I know is at least a social smoker. It's not an excuse or the reason I started, it's just interesting to note.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 5th 2011, 09:03 PM

I smoked cigarettes twice simply to see why people enjoy them so much. They didn't do anything for me at all, so I don't smoke them.

I started smoking weed due to peer pressure, as dumb as that sounds. My boyfriend smokes a lot & I was strong in the beginning, saying "no" to any offer. But after a while, I got curious as to why he likes it so much. I don't smoke it very often at all & I'm actually working up to quitting now. I didn't mind it at first but now I hate it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 5th 2011, 11:20 PM

I started smoking weed due to peer pressure, all my friends were smoking it and at some point I just gave in and tried it. Funny thing is now I probably smoke more weed then any of them. (Addiction runs in my family..)
And as for cigarettes I refused to let peer pressure get me, but then finally after hanging out with smokers for 3 years I got curious and tried it when I was drinking once with a few friends, I've been smoking ever since. I just find it relaxing.
Plus its a time killer I find as well.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Intoxication Offline
Bug & Pug <3

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 6th 2011, 01:40 AM

I've only smoked cigarettes twice and I didn't like it. I some weed occasionally with friends as a stress reliever.

~~~
HelpLINK Mentor & Project Advisor

(#9 (permalink)) Old
vert_igo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Verti

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 7th 2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert_igo View Post
The first time I was 16 and just very very curious to see what it was like. I didn't really get the hype. Didn't smoke again until I was 18 - almost 19. I liked smoking while I drank - but only did so occasionally. Then I moved to a city and was commuting back and forth(about a 3 hour drive, one way) ALOT during the move. I smoked because I was bored, needed something to do. Then it turned to a stress reliever. This summer was hugely stressful, and I ended up chainsmoking a lot. My lung capacity took a real hit and I live in a walk-up building, I smoked less than a year and was surprised at how fast it made my health decline.

Nowadays I still smoke, but not nearly as much as I did over the summer. It's weird, smoking does not give me a 'high' or affect my mood significantly - I rarely feel like I need a cigarette, I never felt addicted as I do to prescriptions - all I knew was that I like smoking. It's a passive sort of addiction, though. I usually smoke 1 or 2 a day now and my lung capacity improved, and . I don't want to quit - but I am going to. I'm young, and it's hard for me to recognize the consequences something might have on my health - but it was calculated that every cigarette takes approximately ten minutes off of your lifespan - not directly and absolutely, of course, but it's been broken down and added up that way - it really puts things in perspective.

Compared to where I'm from, smoking is 1000% more common here. Most of my roommates smoke. Nearly everyone I know is at least a social smoker. It's not an excuse or the reason I started, it's just interesting to note.
EDIT:

Concerning weed, it is decriminalized in my city. Not legalized. You're going to get written a citation and at most slapped with a couple of hours of community service, if that - unless they think you're distributing. I'd say 99% of the people I encounter smoke weed, very openly. It is not unusual for me to see people smoking as they're walking down the street, and downright normal to smell it in public. It's a big city, police have much more to worry about. It is rather socially acceptable, here. Me, personally? I am underwhelmed by it. I don't always like the effects of feeling lazy, I like stimulants and uppers - I wish I would just be a pothead haha. Sometimes it makes me focus more. I smoke when it's offered to me - which is fairly frequently but I haven't smoked in over a month. I never spend money on it. Sitting around smoking pot and doing nothing else every single day (my old roommates did this) is something that I cannot do without going out of my mind. So boring!! I also first started at 16 in one very hazy weekend. I didn't smoke it again until I was 18, at which point it really became an occasional indulgence. Smoking weed once a week is considered a frequent affair for me. I just am underwhelmed by it. I'd rather spend my money on cigarettes.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
simons67a Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 8th 2011, 04:57 AM

I've smoked marijuana a few times after I turned 17. I just decided I wanted to try it and not judge people who use it before i had even tried it.

I hardly smoke anything currently because I need to keep my lungs in shape.

I don't smoke cigarette's.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Pale Offline
I Love My Woman <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: K.

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 8th 2011, 02:47 PM

I didn't even start smoking until this summer on pill binges. Something about sitting on my side step with my dog while having a smoke, and thinking about shit. It relaxes me now, I do plan to quit sometime soon though. Cancer is definitely not worth it.
Weed? I can see myself smoking that for rest of my life, it makes everything feel better and enhances shit in a weird way.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
wastedtime Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Will

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 9th 2011, 05:12 PM

I started smoking weed when I was 14 due to stress. I will admit I wasn't the best behaved kid, but I also had a hard childhood and weed took me away from it all. I quit it though, I haven't smoked in 3 years.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
-Winston Churchill

(#13 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Not a n00b

Name: Nicole

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 9th 2011, 11:53 PM

I smoke socially. Not really huge on weed, but cigars I like.
Black & Mild (cream) is probably my favorite.

I live in Hawaii. Stereotypes about smoking pot here -- I almost think it's all true sometimes. LOL

im on my way

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 11th 2011, 05:29 PM

I started smoking (cigarettes) due to peer pressure. I was 13-14 when I tried it for the first time, but didn't actually start smoking until I was around 17 years old. I'm now 21, and continue to do so. I'd love to quit, however, it's much harder for me (I know that sounds cliche) because I live in a household where everyone smokes: both grandparents, my mother and my sister. And, most of the people I hang out with do as well. Also, my boyfriend's parents and basically everyone I know from them do as well. It's just harder since I'm around it basically 24/7 no matter where I am.

I started smoking (weed) around the same time as I started smoking cigarettes. I was tired of judging people on something I had never tried before, so after making the dumb mistake of letting someone pierce my belly button that wasn't a professional, I decided to try it. I continued to do it, socially, for a while and only shared what people already had. I never bought my own for use. I stopped smoking weed in 2009, when I began dating my current boyfriend because of issues concerning the military. He is currently serving, and I'd hate for him to lose his career choice because of a dumb mistake I had made. That was almost 3 years ago now.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Jubilation Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 11th 2011, 11:18 PM

I've only smoked twice (weed) and it was just to let loose, relax and try something new. I'm not going to make a habit of it, because a lot of my friends look down on drug use heavily and 99.9% of them don't even know I've done it.

And I will try to fix you.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 12th 2011, 11:26 PM

With me, I've never tried weed, but I smoke cigarettes socially, I wouldn't say I'm addicted because I don't get cravings and I've gone months and months at a time without one. When I do smoke it's usually to relax or I'm with a group of people who are and I haven't had one in a while. I started when I was 12 or 13, found one and smoked it secretly, my parents till don't know I smoke at all. The last time I did was actually at the very beginning of this month. My school was walking by our bus in the parade and we got there super early so they let us walk around town (we live there so we knew the area) as long as there were 2 or more so I joined a group of 4 others then on our way back, 2 of them pulled out one and one of the others bought one off my friend (note I actually knew 2 but only one was a friend that I usually talk to) and then I remembered I had some spare change and bought one too.

Also note that I do not condone smoking but I'm just saying I started to relax and see why some people like it, it relaxes me and I enjoy smoking socially.

You are worth it keep-holdin-on.tumblr.com

"It's all well and good to apologize to me but if at the end of the day I still mean so little to you, then treat me like a puppy and leave me on the street you dumped me on, don't come back to pick me up just so you can drop me on the concrete again." -Cheye Masters

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)

Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily. Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Lost_Confused Offline
Wherever life takes me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Nika

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 19th 2011, 12:41 AM

I've never tried drugs (Besides the ones that I had to have in the hospital.) but I do smoke cigarettes now, only when I get a really bad craving though. That's what made me start. I think I got addicted to secondhand smoke, so I started craving it really, really bad. Then I snitched some Camels, and started smoking.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
iggy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: igor

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 24th 2011, 12:16 AM

I started smoking at the age of 13(both weed and cigarettes) because I saw all the older guys from my neighborhood smoking and thought it looked cool and i continued because it calms me down.

HORDE ZLA SARAJEVO 1987

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Angel.Warring Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Angel

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 24th 2011, 12:20 AM

I smoke cigarettes because I enjoy it and I started because I started smoking weed and then I just got in the habit but I no longer smoke weed because I need a job right now but it is relaxing and nice to smoke both cigarettes and weed makes life seem amazing and you feel free and calm it is kinda like you created your own world and the world is everything that makes you happy.

~I <3 Him~

(#20 (permalink)) Old
LostAngels Offline
Glam Rocker/Classic Violinist
Average Joe

Name: Jordan Lorraine

Re: What made you start smoking? - November 24th 2011, 01:56 PM

Hello there.*

This is a good question, and also, I f*cking love your username ;P*

I began smoking after I battled addiction with drugs. Once I got clean, I felt like I needed something else to take the edge off.*

(#21 (permalink)) Old
DreamingOfPeace Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: <3 <3 <3 <3

Re: What made you start smoking? - December 4th 2011, 06:42 AM

I started smoking in order to forget about everything around me..
I was stressed out with a lot on my mind and a friend of mine asked me to smoke (weed) with him, so I did.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Resources Officer

Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: What made you start smoking? - December 4th 2011, 08:00 PM

As some as the others - I did it due to peer pressure in 6th grade and never attempted to do it again after that day. I wasn't really into it - but as a younger child of course your atleast going to try it.

Chris Jackson
ďIn order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.Ē

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: What made you start smoking? - December 4th 2011, 08:09 PM

Let's see, I had started smoking cigarettes when I was 12. Between the rebellion, and the fact my two closest friends were smokers, we all kind of smoked together. I had done it a bit, then quit until I was 14, when I had dated a fellow who was a smoker. I had smoked on and off for, well, over 10 years total. Recently, I just stopped liking the taste and decided to quit.

As far as smoking weed goes, I tried it a dozen times, during random points in high school. It never did anything. I didn't really start smoking marijuana until I got with my boyfriend. Basically, I was still smoking cigarettes when him and I first started dating, but when I'd run out, I'd take some puffs off his pipe. I guess it was the social smoking thing.

However, I continue to smoke it because well, after I actually started feeling the effects, I also noticed that my hallucinations weren't around. So basically, I continue to smoke at least a bit each day, for my mental health. It helps keep my hallucinations away, helps with my Anxiety (for everyday things, though I take an actual medication for work), and it just helps with keeping me a bit sane.

*Note: Where I live, not only is marijuana decriminalized (and possibly going to be becoming legal within the next year, there has been talk about it), but I could easily qualify for medicinal marijuana in fact. Only reason I haven't signed up for it is because I need to move out of my parents house first.*

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Masquerade. Offline
C'est la vie. ♥

I can't get enough

Name: Sammi

Re: What made you start smoking? - December 4th 2011, 09:08 PM

Cigarettes: It's kinda weird. I guess I always liked the smell of the smoke. I was never really pressured into it, which is part of the reason I did it. I'll rarely do something if people are on my butt about it. But, I just decided to try it one day and I was hooked.

Marijuana: I was way too stressed out from school and fighting with my parents all the time. I needed a way to relax. It was kinda the perfect way for me, at the time.

I quit both of them, by the way.

Buddy|Forum Moderator|Performance Committee
Articles Team|Social Networking Team|Newsletter Editor

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: What made you start smoking? - December 4th 2011, 09:16 PM

I started smoking cigarettes because my best friend smoked. I'm not addicted, but I still smoke.

I smoked weed the first time because my boyfriend (at the time) did it, but I haven't smoked weed in a longggggggggggg time.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: What made you start smoking? - December 5th 2011, 03:28 PM

I heard it helped with stress so I gave it a shot. Quit a year later when I decided to run a marathon. Smoking didn't help me run very well

Only smoked weed once, and that was again, stress relief.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
2 Years Cut Free!
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: What made you start smoking? - December 5th 2011, 05:25 PM

I first smoked cigarettes when I was 12. My mum had always smoked, as did my nan, so I wanted to see what the big fuss was about. From then I barely smoked, just whenever I could get people to buy me them!
I started properly smoking when I was 16. I was in a psychiatric hospital and they kept me sane!! I don't smoke loads, mainly for stress-relief. Not completely addicted but I do crave sometimes.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
2 Years Cut Free!
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: What made you start smoking? - December 5th 2011, 05:25 PM

I first smoked cigarettes when I was 12. My mum had always smoked, as did my nan, so I wanted to see what the big fuss was about. From then I barely smoked, just whenever I could get people to buy me them!
I started properly smoking when I was 16. I was in a psychiatric hospital and they kept me sane!! I don't smoke loads, mainly for stress-relief. Not completely addicted but I do crave sometimes.

Closed Thread