TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shelbss Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shelby

Drinking for fun? - March 23rd 2009, 02:13 AM

Mmkay, so my cousin, who is a few months younger than me, had her sweet sixteen a few weeks ago, and the "after-party" was just a few people with some booze, and getting buzzed was really fun for me. I've never done anything like that before, because my parents are CRAZY strict, but i really enjoyed it and want to do it again, soon. Part of me wants to rationalize and say that this is all completely ridiculous, and that i'm acting stupid, but the other part of me wants to just keep doing it, no matter what the cost...

"...Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars..."--Martin Luther King Jr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Josh! Offline
im only dreaming
Average Joe

Name: Josh

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 23rd 2009, 02:23 AM

drinking is never a good thing. it can be fun to get buzzed, but you dont want to take the extra step too far an end up hurting yourself

trust me. i know this from experience. i was that kid who thought he knew his limits. and i was always careful about not having too much. when youve had a couple drinks, and you are with your friends, it is too easy to keep going back for more and more. this happened to me, and the next thing i know i was in the bathroom with my head over the toilet puking my guts out for almost 5 hours straight. it was the scariest night of my life. my parents found out, i got caught, and i totally severed their trust.

now im not telling you what to do and what not to do. im just telling you my story. getting buzzed can be fun, but you need to be REALLY careful, which when you aare drunk can be pretty tough.

you said there was nothing left out here
well i roamed around the wastelands
and i swear i found something
i found hope
i found the dreams of the believers

Click to PM me!

Click to leave me a Visitor Message!

Love Is The Movement

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Seeen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 23rd 2009, 04:12 AM

lol man your 16 what are you saying you were once the kid your still the kid i cant even say i was once the kid.

Drinking is fun but dont over do it. Your going to overdo it at least once in yourlife and be prepared its not fun, but after doing it for a while you know how much you can drink plus your tolerance level increases. You also develop a mental immunity against yacking (well i dunno that might just be me ill get gut rot then just completely get rid of the thought outta my mind and occupy myself and im fine)

Drinking has brought me almost every single story that i would tell my peers though lol + every picture on facebook

be prepared for the aftermath haha people mad at you for what you did, laughing at you, throwing up, hangover etc

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 23rd 2009, 02:38 PM

Drinking once in a while is not going to cause you any problems. However, if it turns into binge drinking and drinking excessive amounts this is where your problems will arise. Also, it's not just the actual affects of alcohol that people worry about, it's what you can do under the influence of it.
I don't know how old you are, but it would seem that you're under the legal age to drink? The legal age is there for a reason, that reason being that when abused alcohol can be dangerous.
I'm not going to tell you not to drink at all, because almost everyone i know drinks, and most people drink responsibly and have no problems.
Getting really drunk can have some pretty nasty results, like throwing up and passing out. It's not pleasant for your friends to have to look after you if you get into such a state. I'd say, drink if you want to, but just be responsible with it.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 24th 2009, 02:34 PM

Wanting to drink isn't stupid. It's what people do after they drink that really has the consequences. As long as you aren't getting behind the wheel of a car, which you should NEVER,EVER do while intoxicated, I think it's ok. Just don't make it a habit. It's normal for you to feel like this at your age. Just don't get so blasted that you do something dumb and regret it in the morning. Have a trusty friend around and know your limitations.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Youth Pastor

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 24th 2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleslove73 View Post
because my parents are CRAZY strict,
I wondering are you wanting to drink more of out the taste of freedom, rebellion in a way, because your parents don't know, etc. I've seen kids whose parents are strict and when they get that taste of freedom they go crazy with it because they're unsure how to handle it.

To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world

Failure isn't when you get knocked down, it's when you don't get back up

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Katelyn Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katelyn

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 24th 2009, 08:44 PM

I'm not going to lie, drinking can be fun, but if you don't know your limits, and are afraid you might test them in one night of "fun", you need to make sure you are with people you trust and people that will take care of you if something is to happen. Trust me, having good people around is half the battle.
Drinking is fun sometimes, I'm not going to lie. Just be careful and make sure that you are safe !

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Anya_Bananya Offline
Not Your Average Bananna
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anna

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 24th 2009, 10:20 PM

Drinking can be a wonderful social relaxer. I've been to about 8 contries and in each country I've seen how stiff and formal the culture can be, and then I see how the use of alcohal can help let loos some of the contrainsts of formal society so that people can really get to know one another and show emotion. For instance, Japan. At my cousin's wedding, the whole rehersal dinner revolved around a specific schedual with dishes being brought out at the right time and certain foods being present to represent different things, and shots being taken as a form of respect. One of the coolest things was that you should never pour your own glass of whatever alcohal you are drinking, this keeps everyone on their toes to make sure that the other people in the room are not low on liquid. By the end of the evening everyone was plastered, but my cousin's wife's father, a man who would never ever have showed emotion due to social constraints actually let loose and cried because he was sad to be "giving away" his daughter and then laughed with all of us american family memebers and hgged everyone. It was great. The other male japanese family members let go a lot too...it's just how they use alcohal in their society.

In our society, we have the tendency to binge drink til we puke. We think of it as showing off our macho-ness that we can drink a ton and not puke but then we do cross that line and puke anyway.

I think there are plenty of times a reasons that taking a drink is a perfectly acceptable. I certainly had a drink every now and then before I turned 21 and now that I am 21 I enjoy having a glass of something with dinner or out with friends.

The fact that you are wanting to drink more because of the buzz it gave you and the fact that you mentioned your parent' sbeing strict worries me. It sounds an aweful lot like you have found a way (new way maybe) to escape fro whatever troubles you have. Alcohal shouldn't be used as an escape, it should be enjoyed for the taste, for the relaxation it provides when out with friends, that sort of thing.

So, what you need to ask yourself is what you are running away from. If you can pin point that (if it exists) then you can deal with it and not feel the need to run away from it. Then, you can drink just for the pleasure of it.

I would like to point out that I am not encouraging you to drink under age, that's illegal. But, if you do drink, be safe and recponsibe. And by all means, keep good friends around you when youd rink and make sure you have a DD if your drinking away from home.

Anyway, good luck!

~Anna~

"Every day is new, there are no mistakes in it yet." - Miss Stacy, Anne of Green Gables

"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide" -Garth Brooks
  Send a message via AIM to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Yahoo to Anya_Bananya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya_Bananya 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 25th 2009, 06:06 AM

Drinking can be fun IF done responsibly. If you have the urge to just drink no matter what the cause, then I wouldn't drink at all. It could turn out being really unsafe and you want to be safe when drinking.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 28th 2009, 05:12 PM

I agree with some of the other posters. Drinking can be fun and enjoyable as long as it is in moderation. Moderation not only means not drinking often but it also means being responsible and not going over board when you do drink. It is always good to make sure your friends can at least keep and eye on you and you should do the same thing for them. One problem many people have with drinking is that is lowers your ability to make rationale decisions and you begin to act impulsively when you are drunk. As long as you are in a safe environment this shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to warn you that it is easy to make big mistakes when you are drunk so look out for yourself and be smart. If you are worried that your drinking could get our of control or you just don't think it is something you want to get into then don't. I want to remind you not to drink and drive and not to get into a car with someone who has been drinking as this could lead to a dangerous situation. The thing about drinking is you just have to be smart and know your limits. Take care of yourself and try not to go overboard. Have fun and be safe.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Marie Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 28th 2009, 06:28 PM

I think you have your scale totally mixed up.
I mean, on one hand you think it's stupid, right? Well I drink alot. Socially. It's not a "problem drink" thing. I just go to a lot of clubs, a lot of the time. But on the flipside, I work hard, I get good grades at uni and my parents trust and respect me. I hit deadlines and I don't let drinking interfere with my work. I wouldn't say that drinking is stupid. As long as you moderate it. But the thing is, I'm legally allowed to drink. My parents are never going to punish me for coming home and puking my guts up so you do have that against you. Mind you I remember being 14/15 and drinking in fields and at house parties and having a real good time. I didn't let it get out of control though.

On the other hand you would do anything at all to drink again?? Now THAT is stupid. If you're having such a strong urge to drink then you might be someone who could become easily dependant on alcohol. Bad news for you. I suggest you just chill out. Wait for the buzz to fade. You have years ahead of you to drink alcohol. It's not THAT great and it definitely gets old.
You'll get another chance to have some fun with alcohol, until then just stop placing alcohol on such a pedestal.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 29th 2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
On the other hand you would do anything at all to drink again?? Now THAT is stupid. If you're having such a strong urge to drink then you might be someone who could become easily dependant on alcohol. Bad news for you. I suggest you just chill out. Wait for the buzz to fade. You have years ahead of you to drink alcohol. It's not THAT great and it definitely gets old.
You'll get another chance to have some fun with alcohol, until then just stop placing alcohol on such a pedestal.
Agreed!

I don't think it's a bad thing to want to drink occasionally, as it might teach you some forms of self control. But the phrase "no matter what it takes" applied to drinking alcohol is not good. Hearing that with any substance, anything period, says "danger" in big freakin' letters and with a speaker phone.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#13 (permalink)) Old
OohLaLa Offline
I Missed TeenHelp =)
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Drinking for fun? - March 29th 2009, 04:11 PM

drinking can be fun. =] but if you want to drink, just be careful. don't overdo it if you are not used to drinking. i mean, i drink quite often, every weekend or so and i have never been in the toilets being sick for 5 hours. it's just a matter of watching what you drink, how much, and if you can tell yourself to stop before it's too much. Doesn't necessarily mean you WILL be sick if you drink.

If you want to drink, then be careful.
If you don't want to, then don't.
Simple as that. =]

Life is too short to be anything other than happy all the time ..

Life is great!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
falcon93 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Drinking for fun? - April 6th 2009, 01:33 AM

drinking is a horrible things to do the negatives of it outweigh the postives so much. drinking can make u make stupid decisions, become depressed, get jail time and lots of other shit

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Drinking for fun? - April 6th 2009, 02:09 AM

I drink a lot for my age and I do very well in school. You just have to know how to control it. In your situation, it sounds like too much of a craving and I would not go through with it.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Drinking for fun? - April 8th 2009, 06:37 PM

Im going to be the sore thumb here... I believe in learn from your mistakes, or if you can others, I used to be a big fan of binge drinking... not anymore, I spend all my time when out with friends looking after one or two who are completely out of it... The other weekend, my (now) girlfriend passed out, and a good guy mate of mine also. She was ok, but I spent about 5 hours just trying to get him safe, and well, although he didnt come round until morning. Once you've seen someone in that state, you wont be jumping at the opportunity to get drunk. Without seeing that though id still be up for it =D

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
emilyjaynescott Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

Re: Drinking for fun? - April 9th 2009, 06:40 PM

As always there are two sides to this question.
Given that the legal age in the US is 21 you are underage to drink, and so its not a good idea to be doing it.
however, given that in england the drinking age is 18, and in some european countries i have lived in its 16, i would say its not unusual for people your age to want to drink, and to be experiencing it. you just so happen to live in a country where its okay to die for your country before you can drink. (for anyone that thinks im having a go at the US im really not, i was just putting it into perspective purpleslove73).
it's okay that you want to have a drink, however just do it responsibly and remember that it is infact illegal for you.

Time heals the wounds unhealable!

Feel free to talk to me if you ever need someone, I know how it can feel to be lost, to be found, to be disappointed and hurt. I also know that it can always get better!

Closed Thread