TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TwistedSoul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kyle

Time to get clean.. - February 16th 2012, 12:14 AM

I've said this many times, I'm not going to lie. I'm sure everyone's done it. Where you say you'll stop something, but you don't. Why? Cause it's there, so why not.
I'm addicted to marijuana. I've smoked it for almost 6 years and I think its time to cut back to where I only smoke it as a social thing, or maybe not at all. I smoke it everyday, I get the stupid cravings where I'll end up scraping out the thc and just hoping I can get enough for a toke. I know I'm only mentally addicted..but like what the hell do non stoned people do ALL day? How can they go on without hating life completley?
I don't have a job right now, I don't have school, I'm stuck in my house all day with nothing to do but clean and get baked. I go out and try to find a job 3 out of 5 days of the week but still..
I think its time to get myself together. But I know its going to be hard with nothing to distract me...does anyone have ideas? Anything?
I hope I go through with this, and more then just a day...its time to have a clear head.

Be you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Time to get clean.. - February 16th 2012, 12:34 AM

Getting clean isn't going to be easy. You need to be 100% committed to quitting. The fact that you're reaching out to us is an awesome first step because it's showing that you want help! I'm proud of you for that.

People who don't smoke cope with things in different ways. It's all dependent on the individual. Find something that you enjoy doing that distracts you from smoking pot. Whether it's going for a run, reading a book, or drawing a picture, you need to find something that keeps your mind busy and focused on something other than smoking.

It's also important that you keep away from people and situations that might influence you to smoke. That can definitely be tough if your friends smoke too. But, being around those influences will make it much harder for you to quit. You don't have to stop talking to them completely, but if pot is around, find another way to spend your time.

Is there anyone that you can talk to who doesn't smoke? If there is, let them know what changes you are trying to make. Ask them to keep you accountable and be there if you need someone to hang out with to avoid getting yourself in a sticky situation. Having someone to help you along the way and celebrate your triumphs with you will make this road a little more bearable.

Good luck Kyle. I have faith in you.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Babycakes Offline
ForeverAlone<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Aiden

Re: Time to get clean.. - February 16th 2012, 04:18 PM

I know exactly what you're going through 100%
I'm exactly the same, scraping my grinder for THC, hoping I can get a toke.
I smoke to separate my mind from reality, always kickin' it back, never following formality.
(sorry had to throw a rhyme in there to brighten up the mood)
I know it's incredibly hard to quit, you get anxious and feel like you need it to get through the day.
It cures all your depression, makes you feel good when nothing else can.
I know it all, and the reality is, it's not all that bad for you. I wrote a paper on marijuana for English.
During my studies I came across some cool facts, Marijuana actually decreases the chances of getting cancer. Unlike tobacco smoke, it is not radioactive. Marijuana has something called Tetra9-Hydrocannabinol, also known as THC. The carcinogens in Marijuana smoke pushes aging cancer cells to die.
I'm not trying to convince you to keep smoking, but if it does everything you want, why do you want to stop?
My reasons include, waste of money, laziness, no motivation and short term memory loss.
I know exactly what you mean by "but like what the hell do non stoned people do ALL day?". I've been asking myself that question for years. I suggest finding something you like to do; get a girlfriend. I know when I was seeing this girl, I completely stopped smoking weed all together, she was my little personal stash of high, I didn't need weed to make me happy.
Also, if you're serious about quitting, get rid (or lend to a friend) all your pieces, bongs, pipes, bubblers, papers, grinder, anything you consider paraphernalia of marijuana. This will make it so, if you actually feel like you need to blaze really badly, you won't be able to, even if you had weed.
Also, try not to hang around people that are smoking weed, it makes it incredibly harder to get through. Peer-pressure is a huge contribution to addictions.
Let me know how it goes for you, maybe you'll inspire me to quit

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Time to get clean.. - February 16th 2012, 10:52 PM

My housemate is in the same position as you, nothing to do with his day than smoke and watch Netflix. Today I watched him in our garden picking month old spliff ends from between the cracks in the patio. They were wet and filthy. He dried them out and smoked them all. No one wants to end up like that man, it's not pretty.
Your first step is getting yourself in the correct mindset which it seems you are, you know it's not right. Just, open your eyes. There's waaay more to do with your day than smoke weed. Just because you don't have a job doesn't mean you can't be productive, learn something, start a hobby, walk, see friends. The things you could achieve without smoking... Put the money you would of spent on cannabis to the side and save up for something to fill up your time. If you're struggling to find paying work, look into volunteer work to take up your time.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Anonimous Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Time to get clean.. - February 17th 2012, 05:21 PM

Yep, Been there too. I used weed to get out of my depression.
It actually worked. Too bad i'm starting to get depressed again since i can't smoke it anymore because i get anxious feelings when i smoke. That's what made me quit.
I only smoke before i go to sleep because there is too much on my mind.
Yea i was bored as fuck too when i had to stop. If you just can stop for a few weeks you won't be as bored anymore. Start playing games and maybe get a hobby or a job.
Oh yea, Working out is also a good idea. It makes you tired(I had real trouble getting to sleep without weed) And if you didnt give your weed away yet, sell it for cheap to one of your smoking buddies. Emn well that's all i got. Just wanted to show my support, I wish you good luck quiting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TwistedSoul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Time to get clean.. - February 17th 2012, 06:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and support.
However, I refuse to sell/give away my bongs lol. I have 3 that haven't broken yet and I love them all..like you know how some stoners name their smoking devices? Yeah, that's me lol. The one my brother uses all the time anyways because he broke his own bong. I can get rid of all my pipes though, I don't use those ever aha.
I have been working out a bit, it does help get rid of my extra antsy energy I suppose.. Yesterday was my first day with no weed, and I still slipped up and scrounged for a toke.. I think if I can go a few days straight with no weed then I can prove to myself I don't need to be smoking it everyday or anything.
But honestly, all morning I have been bored to my core. I've cleaned my room, did the dishes, worked out a bit, cleaned the house a bit, theres no one here to take me into town or talk to or anything except my cat -.-
This is going to take awhile.. and some effort
Again thanks everyone!

Be you

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TwistedSoul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Time to get clean.. - February 17th 2012, 06:59 PM

Also, I've noticed if I don't smoke weed I won't be hungry, and I won't want to eat.
I have to force myself to get food down, and its just bare minimum..

Be you

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Time to get clean.. - February 18th 2012, 11:45 PM

Hey Kyle.

Quitting anything is hard to do when it's become part of your every day life. However it's great that you're trying to break the habit. It can take a lot of guts and will power. It doesn't matter that you slipped up... don't let it get you down - recovery has to start somewhere. Try setting yourself targets such as '2 days clean' and when you reach that set yourself another target like '1 week clean' the days will all add up and it should get easier once you pass the 2 month mark.

Having a daily routine might help to kill that boredom and keep you occupied. Like the others have said, taking up a new hobby could be useful, or even simple things like meeting up with friends can help. THIS link might help. I know it says alternatives to Self Harm, but there are some great distractions in there that could prove useful... scroll down the heading which says 'Alternatives that will distract you or take up time'. It sounds like you already have some structure to your days, like you going job hunting. It shows that your taking the initiative and want to turn things around.

As for you finding it hard to eat, that should get better over time and your body is probably finding it hard to adjust. Plan out your meals for each day and set times for each meal. Something which also might help is having six small meals instead of 3 big ones. This way you are consuming the same amount of food and calories, but over a longer period of time. It sometimes helps to break things up into smaller amounts.

I hope this helps and things go well. Keep us updated.
Charli

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Time to get clean.. - February 20th 2012, 09:59 AM

Heya,

I know everybody is giving you advice on quitting, but also keep in mind that due to no physical addiction, you won't have any withdrawal. Nonetheless, I smoke marijuana, but I also spend time "sober". If you're wondering what people do in place of smoking pot, there are a bunch of things. Personally, I like to draw, paint, and do photography, as my major things.

I'm sure you were able to eat before you ever started smoking up, so perhaps take baby steps. First of all, prepare something you REALLY like. If you have something really yummy in front of you, it'll be hard NOT to eat it, right? This will help with regaining your appetite without the THC being a factor.

It's all about baby steps, like quitting anything is. I quit smoking cigarettes on New Years Eve, haven't touched a cigarette since, and they've actually got chemicals to make them physically addictive. So I mean, if you want to quit smoking marijuana, it'll become easier over time.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#10 (permalink)) Old
blurryface Offline
|-/
Senior TeenHelper

Name: anathema

Re: Time to get clean.. - February 21st 2012, 02:02 AM

I'm sure all the good advice has already been said, but I just want to personally tell you that you're not going through this alone; I don't smoke a lot, but I do smoke, and it's a terrible habit for me, and I want to quit. I just wanted you to know that you can PM me anytime if you just wanna talk.
Stay strong, keep your head high, it's gonna get better <3 c:

Closed Thread