TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tapanga Paige Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rikki Heyman

Responsibility - February 21st 2012, 01:34 AM

I have always been the kind of person who stayed away from drugs simply because a long time ago someone told me "drugs are bad". I've never questioned it and lived my life comdeming those who use. Many of my friends as I have grown up have changed and become more involved with drugs than I ever would have imagined.

Lately I have had a lot on my plate. Everything I've heard says a couple hits a few drink and let your problems float away. I'm sick of being a sticck in the mud and condeming something that I could never control. If you can't beat them join them right? Is it wrong or hypocritical of me to give weed a shot? I mean it seems to be such an upper for everyone around me.

<3 RAWR<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
blurryface Offline
|-/
Senior TeenHelper

Name: anathema

Re: Responsibility - February 21st 2012, 01:54 AM

I wanna tell you somethin, cause I was in the same boat.

I strongly advise against it.

Growing up around that same image, 'drugs are bad', 'druggies live on the streets', 'drugs are nasty' etc., plus growing up around secondhand smoke, I thought I'd never do them, and I ended up smoking cigarettes and weed, and drinking.

And I hate it. I hate the person I've become.

Some people try it, hate it, and never go near it again. I don't know you, and I personally don't want you to get involved in this. It can spiral down quicker than you can blink, and it can get out of control. Believe me; please, no matter fun it may look, or no matter how much pressure people may put you under (which I hope isn't happening) please don't do it. Not even a little puff of a cigarette, not even a little hit, not even a sip; nothing. Please.

(I also see that you're new. Feel free to PM me anytime.)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Responsibility - February 26th 2012, 07:47 PM

Elizabeth has made a very good point so I'm not going to go over that again. Just be careful who you condemn, the stereotypes might be true in some people but for many alcohol and drugs fit into their lives healthily.

To answer your question. Yes. It is hypocritical for you to try weed just once if you continue to cast these aspersions on others. If you're starting to see that condemning people who use drugs is wrong, then I wouldn't consider it hypocritical as you're opening your mind to new ideas and escaping the stereotypes applied.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Responsibility - February 27th 2012, 06:16 PM

Hi Rikki,

Drugs are a band-aid for an underlying issue. In your case your in a low right now which would make sense why you'd want to drift the night away in a sea of alcohol, in the morning your problems will still be there. While some people my advocate that drugs are harmless, I can personally say 99.99% of the time they will not help your case unless your a cancer patient. At first they seem harmless and almost helpful until you start to deteriorate your body. Similar to ones eating habits if you eat healthy you feel good, if you eat garbage you feel sluggish. Its really that simple so when your down the best thing to do is not resort to substances, its about figuring out who or wants bringing you down and getting yourself away from that toxic atmosphere.

Unfortunately I'm forced to build this post so its "generally speaking" - Although if you'd like feel free to contact me through a pm and we'll get more in-tune with what's actually going on in your life. On the flip side socially drinking with people in a mature manner is normal and fun. Though when you do it because your overwhelmed will pressure that's when a problem can happen. You seem like a smart well-rounded person so make an educated decision before you get yourself involved in something like this but the choice is yours.

As for other members, we do like to hear your story and personal experiences but simply saying its harmless or advocating the use of drugs doesn't really backup what TeenHelp stands for. With that in mind posts will most likely be removed or edited if people are blatantly advocating the use of drugs. Lets keep this constructive.

Thanks a lot.

Closed Thread