TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
aloharocker Offline
writer
Average Joe

Name: Steffani

I think I have a drinking problem - February 23rd 2012, 07:31 AM

I've been drinking on and off since I was fifteen. Now I'm 22, on medication for my anxiety and in therapy three times a week. However, at the end of the day, I like a drink or two to take the edge off and help me sleep

These past couple days, I haven't had any alcohol and I've felt extra anxious and a little physically sick. I don't know if it's other contributing factors (ex stress) or that I haven't been drinking.

My therapist has asked me in the past if my drinking is a problem, and I've always said No, but now I'm reconsidering...

I don't really know what I'm asking.

When I start drinking, I feel so much better because I'm not thinking about things or my anxiety or my eating disorder... but then I drink more than I should and I know I need to cut back but it's one of those things where it's the only time I feel okay. I don't think about puking my guts out, I don't think about the bad things that happened to me and what I've done wrong...

I guess... I'm just looking for opinions here

If you need someone to talk to, my PM box is always open.

I've been a member of TeenHelp on and off since I was 16.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Re: I think I have a drinking problem - February 24th 2012, 10:28 AM

Hi Steffani,

it seems you are now using alcohol the same way you once used food. It is not the problem itself, but the sympthom of something else that is happening in your head... Sometimes when we are overwhelmed by the circumstances, or when we have a problem that we dont know how to face, we use the only tools we know. In the case of your ED, by controlling what you eat, you feel at least there is something you are charge of, but with time you realise it is not the solution for those problems and only complicates things, because the feeling of control gets smashed by a feeling of guilt and also a feeling that it is hurting you and getting out of hand... Now you are maybe using alcohol in the same way, not just as a tool to manage our problems, but also as a tool to manage the ED, and you are conscious it is getting you nowhere, 'cause it helps for a while, while you drink, because you satisfy the anxiety in your brain, but it is not an actual solution, just a temporary and false feeling of relief...

I think you should talk about it with your therapist, or write here or talk to someone about how you feel, and what are your background problems are and start learning new strategies to face that stuff that you are not handling well apparently...

Take care and if you need something just ask

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: I think I have a drinking problem - February 26th 2012, 07:53 PM

Using a substance to console your thoughts on a regular basis is never a wise idea. You start to associate it with comfort which develops into a very unhealthy relationship. It's extremely easy to do and it doesn't take long for it to get out of hand. Plenty of people have the odd drink when they've had a stressful day but when you find yourself needing it to calm down is when you have to take a step back and really evaluate what's going on.

In your situation I would strongly suggest not using alcohol to make yourself feel better. Try to find an alternative, preferably a constructive activity in which you can feel accomplished and is not detrimental to your health.

Obviously have the odd drink... But don't let it dominate you.

You'll do a lot better to discuss this with your therapist. You don't have to declare a drinking problem, simply outline what you've said here and hopefully he/she will have some better answers more personalised towards yourself.

Closed Thread