TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MrJungleTiger Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 16th 2012, 12:03 AM

1. Is weed safe to smoke? and by this i mean is it safe on a level of any possible toxic chemicals or brain damaging componenets involved in cannabis.

2. Can smoking weed bring out different effects on different people? (I have had some odd expieriences, nothing i didn't live through, forms of paranoia were expressed long after usage of the weed i smoked).

3. Why is weed illegal? Im wondering if it was made illegal because it was a dangerous substance or because of some dumb law.

4. Do you think marijuana should be legal to use and distribute?

5. Do you smoke weed?

6. Given my odd expieriences would you advise me to smoke weed again or no. Why or why not?

7. Can smoking weed cause eye problems? Shortly after I smoked i noticed odd vision and ended up with Entopic Phenomenon (The reflecting of white blood vessels moving through your eye out into your peripheral vision, very annoying in case you are wondering).

THANKS GUYS! LEAVE YOUR RESPONSES PLEASE

Last edited by MrJungleTiger; March 16th 2012 at 12:08 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 16th 2012, 06:55 AM

1. Is weed safe to smoke? and by this i mean is it safe on a level of any possible toxic chemicals or brain damaging componenets involved in cannabis.
There is no such thing as a safe drug. However, as far as I'm concerned, marijuana has shown to do more good to the body than bad.

2. Can smoking weed bring out different effects on different people? (I have had some odd expieriences, nothing i didn't live through, forms of paranoia were expressed long after usage of the weed i smoked).
Yes. People display signs of intoxication in different ways.

3. Why is weed illegal? Im wondering if it was made illegal because it was a dangerous substance or because of some dumb law.
The government is unsure of how to tax it.

Yes for medicinal purposes.

5. Do you smoke weed?
Not anymore.

6. Given my odd expieriences would you advise me to smoke weed again or no. Why or why not?
I can't speak for you. It's up to you as to whether or not you wish to stop smoking marijuana.

7. Can smoking weed cause eye problems? Shortly after I smoked i noticed odd vision and ended up with Entopic Phenomenon (The reflecting of white blood vessels moving through your eye out into your peripheral vision, very annoying in case you are wondering).
It depends. For some marijuana actually cures any issues with your eyes. Lots of people go on medical marijuana to cure eye diseases.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Houseman Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ryan (Alfred)

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 16th 2012, 09:12 AM

There's a documentary on Netflix's Instant Queue called "The Union: The Business Behind Getting High" that is very informational. Past that I agree with pretty much everything Maverick ^ has said.

"My heart is warm with friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going."

- Edna St. Vincent Millay

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Haruhi Offline
Kpop Fan ~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jorddii

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 16th 2012, 03:59 PM

I personally don't think it's bad, I think smoking cigarettes is worse.

Of course, I have a really nice time on it, whereas my friend gets all uptight and suffers really bad paranoia, even in small doses. Everyone has different experiences.

Like the above poster said.

Yes, but I think, even in the UK where the age is 18, their should be a higher age restriction on it. Kids are irresponsible with it.

5. Do you smoke weed?
I used too.

It's your choice. If you want more odd experiences continue. If not, don't.

I have no idea. Not heard much about it causing eye problems.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 16th 2012, 05:43 PM

Like the other poster said,there is no such thing as a safe drug. I has been proven that it can help the system, and be used for medicinal purposes.

Of course, it would be just like giving two different people alcohol there bodies are going to react differently.

The government is unsure of how to tax it.

I think for medical purposes only.

5. Do you smoke weed?
No.

I would not personally adivise anyone to smoke weed, as I don't encourage drug use. No matter what the drug.

It depends. It could just be how it is reacting to your body.

I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are
LHO|PM|VM
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jovial.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
abandonedships Offline
All I know, It's like poison
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Scott

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 16th 2012, 08:44 PM

I don't think it's bad, cigarettes are worse

Like everyone else said, Yes. Different people are going to have different reactions, It all depends on your body

The government can't control it

Yeah, But I think there should be an age limit, and certain restrictions

5. Do you smoke weed?
I used to

That would be up to you

It could I guess, it really depends on the person

So many are broken, and they're not getting up

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Paint_It_Black Offline
Not a n00b

Name: N/A

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 16th 2012, 10:38 PM

Prolonged use is supprose to deteriorate brain cells but thats only if your like smoking it everyday all day for years

For you to experience this level of paranoia the weed you smoked may have been laced with something else. Normally you just mellow out and get the munches.
Mainly because of a "dumb law" as you put it.
Yes it should be the harmful effects of smoking weeds are only from prolonged use and its not any worse then smoking cigarettes as a matter of fact cigarettes are alot worse for you then weed will ever be.
5. Do you smoke weed?
Not anymore but i have smoked weed on occasion

If you want to smoke weed more power to it i will not tell you to stop smoking it nor will i tell you to smoke your experience probably had to do with what someone laced it with as i stated before people put PCP in it among other things.

All of these things you have said lead me to believe that it was laced with something. becareful where you get it from.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 17th 2012, 07:58 PM

Cannabis has neuroprotective factors against particular neurodegenerative diseases, so it does not cause only damage. As for whether it's safe to smoke, the smoke inhalation will damage your pulmonary-respiratory system that decreases the availability of oxygen to be transported into your brain at any given time.

It can cause different short-term effects. Usually people will feel relaxed, although some will have feelings of paranoia. The physiological effects are the same, the behavioural ones aren't.

The selling of marijuana generates millions, perhaps even billions of dollars. The government would love to be able to tax it so they can dip into this large sum of money. Problem is they don't have any reliable way of taxing and/or controlling it, so it gets made illegal.

I think it should follow a similar legal status as alcohol and cigarettes in that you need to be of a certain age to purchase it, as well as tax the hell of out it. If the person can still afford it, them they can smoke it.

5. Do you smoke weed?
Nope.

It's your body, do what you want with it. I wouldn't strongly hold onto advice given from people online who you don't know, who don't know you and who won't lose any sleep if you get high as a kite or not.

Doubtful. Marijuana's therapeutic effect has been examined for certain eye conditions, such as glaucoma but ends up causing more discomfort for the patient. Entropic phenomena are normal and fairly common.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 18th 2012, 03:34 AM

1. Is weed safe to smoke?
Not exactly, but it's safer than a lot of other drugs. I believe other posters have covered most of it.

2. Can smoking weed bring out different effects on different people?

Yes. Some people get really paranoid & panicky, others feel more calm, for example.

3. Why is weed illegal?

Government isn't sure how to control it enough to make money off of it.

4. Do you think marijuana should be legal to use & distribute?
For medical purposes.

5. Do you smoke weed?

I have, but I don't.

6. Given my odd experiences would you advise me to smoke weed again or no. Why or why not?
It's your decision.

7. Can smoking weed cause eye problems?
I'm really not sure.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 18th 2012, 10:11 PM

1. Is weed safe to smoke?
I personally say yes, it is much safer than other drugs and things. Studies have shown that marijuana use even in long term use does not cause any permanent brain damage. Tests on reaction time, language&motor skills, reasoning ability, memory, and the ability to learn new information were done on 700 regular marijuana users and 484 non-users to see different aspects of their brain function and differences were very minimal.
But there are toxins in marijuana. Though no one has ever died from smoking it, in fact many are given it when they have cancer, glaucoma, brain tumors, neurological and movement disorders and much more.

Yes, everyone has different experiences and feelings while high. Even the different types of marijuana can effect the kind of high you get. I've seen people get paranoid, angry, scared, worried. My friend actually had a panic attack after we smoked once and it was honestly scary..

3. Why is weed illegal?
Because of a dumb law. The government would not be able to tax it, or control it so they wouldn't be making money off of it, which then makes it useless to them.

Yes for sure, but just like with alcohol and cigarettes (the age). There are so many ways we could use marijuana, not only just for smoking but for making things out of hemp(clothes,blankets,baskets,rugs etc), actually curing cancer and other diseases if possible and other medical purposes.

5. Do you smoke weed?
Yes

6. Given my odd experiences would you advise me to smoke weed again or no. Why or why not?
If you want to you should go for it. I'm not one to tell you what you want to do. If they were awful experiences and you didn't like it, I would advise against it though, why keep doing something you don't enjoy

7. Can smoking weed cause eye problems?
No, I don't think so..I've never heard of it causing that.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 18th 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
As for whether it's safe to smoke, the smoke inhalation will damage your pulmonary-respiratory system that decreases the availability of oxygen to be transported into your brain at any given time.
I've actually heard that's not true, and only subject to extremely heavy users.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/01/112...-lungs-tobacco

(#12 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 19th 2012, 02:29 AM

Regarding #3:

People deal with Marijuana differently. And as a result for some people it's not safe to drive under the influence. However it would be extremely hard to control as not everyone's pupils dilate, for example. Until we find a non-evasive way to test for it (eg. Breath test) then it won't be legalized. We can't have people signing contracts, getting tattoos or driving while high. It wouldn't end well.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 19th 2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
I've actually heard that's not true, and only subject to extremely heavy users.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/01/112...-lungs-tobacco
The study has such a massive flaw, the researchers basically stated their results are nowhere near accurate. I'd be shocked if you didn't already read this:

"tobacco users typically smoke ten to 20 cigarettes/day ... marijuana users, on average, smoke only two to three times a month, so the typical exposure to marijuana is much lower than for tobacco ... the researchers could not get reliable estimates of the effects of very heavy marijuana exposure, as such smokers were relatively rare in the study population".

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 20th 2012, 06:58 AM

Safer than a lot of drugs, including alcohol and many prescribed drugs.

Of course, everyone is different.

3. Why is weed illegal?
Alcohol companies/lobbyist, they don't know how to tax it, anti-drug people pushing against it, ext.

Yes, both medical and recreational.

5. Do you smoke weed?
I don't. I have, but I don't. It's just not my thing.

That's your choice. It's illegal, and I would never recommend you do something that can get you arrested, and if you didn't have a good experience...why risk getting arrested?

I'm not sure this was the causation of your Entopic Phenomenon, but more coincidence. However, I am not a doctor.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Anonimous Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 20th 2012, 04:18 PM

Well, You can get cancer ofcourse. But the main danger is psychological issues, But i think that only applies with people that have those mental illnesses already.

If someone is feeling down and smokes weed he can get a bad trip, wich really sucks(I had one, I felt like my face was on fire). Most people just get happy and relaxed most of the time. Other people just can't smoke weed and get anxious or paranoid every time.

A bit of both sides i guess, It is illegal because it can be used for a lot of stuff like making paper or ropes. Wich would damage the logging industry. And because it can induce mental-illnesses or it can increase the severity of one.

Yes, as long as you do not suffer from any mental illness. And since most people are sane it is save for them to smoke weed, But theres always a small chance you can go crazy after smoking it for a long time or exessively.

5. Do you smoke weed?
Yes, But kinda medicinal. I also do it to not think about my situation for a while. But mostly to get to sleep.

No, You are now used to a life without weed(i assume) Why bother picking it up again, It only costs money. It can make you insane and it makes most people lazy. It may be fun, But after 2-3 years of smoking weed everyday i can say it was not worth it.

No idea, My sister got blind for 30 minutes after smoking weed though. But that's probally totally irrelevant

(#16 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 20th 2012, 08:00 PM

Nothing is 100% safe, but it is a lot safer than other drugs as well as over the counter and prescription medication.

People react differently to it. For example, my friends would get easily excitable and energetic while I only get extremely tired and relaxed. It also may take a different amount of weed to get any effect at all. It could be due to a tolerance, but not always. Two people smoking for the first time may need different amounts to feel its effects. However, paranoia is more common in synthetic (fake) weed. I have never known anyone to experience paranoia while smoking weed, but everyone responds differently to it.

Because the government cannot find a legal way to tax it, so they make it illegal and tell everyone how deadly it is. Strange because fake weed such as Spice is legal, yet very dangerous.

Yes

5. Do you smoke weed?
I used to, but since I work and they do random drug testing I had to stop.

It's completely up to you. These odd experiences you had sound like the weed you smoked was laced. You have to be very careful about where you get it from, like one of the previous posters have said. Laced weed can be dangerous.

I am not going to say no, but I have never heard of it nor experienced it. Weed is actually good for medical use, so I highly doubt it. Like I already said, what you had was probably laced.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 21st 2012, 06:30 PM

Despite popular belief, marijuana doesn't kill brain cells. I wouldn't say it's "safe" to smoke, but that's more because of the smoke itself. Although, the high can effect different people in different ways. But let's put it this way, it's safer than cigarettes or alcohol.

Yes, it does effect different people in different ways. Basically, it's however your brain reacts to the psycho-active chemicals (such as THC, Cannabinoids *sp?*, etc.). For some people, it can cause paranoia, but for others it doesn't. It shouldn't cause you to be paranoid long after it's out of your system, though.

Well, THAT is a bit more complicated than both of those. But, to summarize, Hemp is extremely useful. It can be used for clothing, paper, medicinal purposes (there is medicinal marijuana, and many conditions it helps treat), fuel, and so many other things. If it was made legal, the government would stop making money off of things like forestry, fuel, pharmaceuticals (since a decent chunk of pharmaceuticals could potentially be replaced by marijuana), etc. because well, Hemp/Marijuana can do so much, and can grow in pretty much any climate.

Yes I do. I mean, tobacco use kills almost half a million people a year, alcohol use kills about 150,000 people a year (between drunk driving and alcohol poisoning), yet marijuana has not been shown to kill even ONE person. You cannot OD on marijuana, unless you smoke your body weight of pot in one sitting, which would be impossible to do (as anyone who has ever smoked pot knows). Majority of people would probably fall asleep before even smoking a half ounce of the stuff.

5. Do you smoke weed?

Yes. Honestly, I didn't do it in high school. I tried, and never really felt anything from it. It was only when I started hanging out with my [now boyfriend] as a friend, and just happened to puff. I noticed that it calmed my anxiety a decent bit. Also, once I had started smoking up, I noticed I stopped having hallucinations. So, I smoke for unofficial medicinal reasons (though I have mental health issues that do qualify for medicinal marijuana in my province).

Honestly, if you didn't like the experience, then I'd say don't smoke it. Do I really need to give a reason? I mean, if you found the experience "odd" (and from the sounds of it, unfavourable), then why do something you don't like?

Not that I know of. I've never heard of anything about weed causing eye problems. That may have just been one of the effects that the chemical compounds making up marijuana had on you. But, that doesn't mean it's doing any permanent damage of sorts.

I'd like to end this in saying that, even if you didn't like smoking weed, it's definitely not as bad as people make it seem (particularly the media). So next time you see people smoking up, they may not be just "stoners". They might be using it to treat pain, or a mental illness, or just smoking it because it's safer than having a bottle of liquor.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 21st 2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonimous View Post
A bit of both sides i guess, It is illegal because it can be used for a lot of stuff like making paper or ropes. Wich would damage the logging industry. And because it can induce mental-illnesses or it can increase the severity of one.

Yes, as long as you do not suffer from any mental illness. And since most people are sane it is save for them to smoke weed, But theres always a small chance you can go crazy after smoking it for a long time or exessively.
I'm sorry, but this is complete and utter bullshit.

Marijuana has been proven to have positive medicinal effects on MANY mental illnesses, including Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety, and Schizophrenia. In fact, you can get it prescribed for those things here, as well as other places with medicinal marijuana programs.

Do some research before you pretend to know the facts, please.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#19 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 23rd 2012, 02:32 AM

1. Is weed safe to smoke? and by this i mean is it safe on a level of any possible toxic chemicals or brain damaging componenets involved in cannabis. Marijuana can't kill you, if that's what you mean.

2. Can smoking weed bring out different effects on different people? (I have had some odd expieriences, nothing i didn't live through, forms of paranoia were expressed long after usage of the weed i smoked). Yeah. I kept repeating myself, breathing loudly, and floating. My friend that I was with tripped out completely and couldn't talk, and the other friend was just like

3. Why is weed illegal? Im wondering if it was made illegal because it was a dangerous substance or because of some dumb law. It's illegal because it's a drug that gets you high. You do illegal things sometimes when you're high (depends on who it is) and the government wants to protect people from that.

4. Do you think marijuana should be legal to use and distribute? Depends on if it's for a medicinal purpose.

5. Do you smoke weed? Yeah...

6. Given my odd expieriences would you advise me to smoke weed again or no. Why or why not? Nooooo. No one on here would.

7. Can smoking weed cause eye problems? It did for me.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - March 27th 2012, 10:13 AM

1. Weed is fairly safe to smoke. However, nothing is 100 percent safe. The people against legalization take advantage of the fact that nothing is absolutely safe, and hype on all the slight risks (such as causing your risk of psychoses to increase by only 1 percent, if that). people against legalization will often take
this to mean that weed causes psychoses, a huge stretch.

Fact: all drugs have side effects and can be used in ways that can have negative effects, but weed seems to be one of the safest drugs. it is impossible to smoke nearly enough weed to overdose. It does not cause brain damage. Its really not a psychedelic drug, so it doesnt cause a true "bad trip" , but can make some people paranoid. but nothing intense enough to be a true bad trip.

2. yes, weed can produce different reactions in different people. weed will make introverted people less talkative, but may make extroverted people laugh a lot and be more outgoing and relaxed.

3. its made illegal due to hype. The DEA uses an embarrassingly simple system to classify which drugs are illegal. basically anything that gets you high and has some abuse potential and is dangerous, will be scheduled (regulated). however , the DEA will interpret any small side effect as "dangerous". weed is basically illegal due to stigma.

4. it should be legal for everyone.

5. yes i smoke it everyday
6. what odd experiences?
7. i dont know about eye problems. i havent noticed any eye problems, just eye redness while stoned

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Herp Derp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Marijuana Quiz + Personal Questions. - April 9th 2012, 08:22 AM

Mostly, however smoking anything is a little detrimental to your health. The safest way would either be to eat it or use a vaporizer.

YES. It can also bring out different effects on the same person.

Because paper companies started a fear campaign about it near the beginning of the 20th century so they wouldn't have to compete with hemp.

Yes, for both recreational and medical purposes, with an minimum age for use (probably 18) and laws against smoking and driving.

5. Do you smoke weed?
Occasionally.

Neither. It's up for you to say. However, if you do, I suggest doing it somewhere you feel safe with someone/people you trust.

I have no idea. Does what you describe make your peripheral vision go kind of blurry, or look like it's moving? I might have that.

Closed Thread