TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Seeen Offline
Average Joe

Tips to Quit Smoking - April 2nd 2009, 01:19 AM

help me outttt

ive had a really bad sore throat the last few dayss and smoked only one ciggarrete in the meantime so i thought id build off it and turn my sickness into a good thing.

One thing that i need help with for quitting is what to do when i get the cravings. Because im so used to the habit of smoking when i drive, after i eat, break on work i neeed ideas to keep me from breaking that

heellllp me out

p.s. been smokin least a deck a day for the last three years.

last time i tried to quit i was bed ridden with the worst migrane i have ever experienced in my life :S

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 2nd 2009, 01:28 AM

First off- Good for you for wanting to quit!
I know a lot of people chew on gum or eat sunflower seeds whenever they have a craving come on until it goes away. I think a lot of quitting smoking is just the will to do it. You can also try Nicotine gum (like Nicorette) or the patch.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 2nd 2009, 01:37 AM

I am glad to hear you are trying to quit. Here are some helpful links:
20 Tips to Help You Quit Smoking
Kick the Habit
Quit Smoking Your Way

You also might want to try calling a quitline (a hotline that helps you stop quit smoking) . The hotline number for Ontario is: (877) 513-5333. You can also discuss options with your physician and see if there is any prescription medication available that can help you. I know in the US we have a medication called CHANTIX. You might have something similar in Canada. You could also try stop smoking gum or a patch. You might also want to look into getting hypnotized. I know it sounds crazy but I personally know someone who quit smoking after getting hypnotized. I wish you the best of luck. I hope this information will help you with your goal. Take care and don't give up.

Lots of love <3

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 2nd 2009, 04:15 AM

Like the others said The patch or gum is a good way to stop smoking I recommend the hotline just to give you more advice.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Losing_Control Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 4th 2009, 04:18 AM

The patch, gum, and sunflower seeds are all good suggestions. If you have any friends that smoke, and would like to quit, having them quit with you would provide a close support system...which may be beneficial.

I know if I were to quit, I'd quit cold turkey, but that's just my preference. If you have specific times when you smoke (like you said, on break at work, after eating, etc.) you could always try to cut one time out. Like you could stop smooking on your break at work, and chew gum instead, or eat a piece of fruit, or something in place of smoking. Then as you get used to one less ciggarette a day then try cutting them out during other events (such as after eating and driving).

Best of luck!

"I'm falling even more in love with you
letting go of all I've held onto"
- Lifehouse

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Seeen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 6th 2009, 01:19 AM

5 dayss with one slip up when i was drankin

i can quit easyyy

(#7 (permalink)) Old
falcon93 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 6th 2009, 01:31 AM

well first i wanna say congrats on wanting to quit. there is this special gum that you can get that tastes like tabaco but its not bad for you and it helped me quit

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 6th 2009, 02:13 AM

Find a hobby you really enjoy (sports, video games, etc.) and get 'addicted' to that. Those are much more healthy, especially if you are smoking a couple packs a day.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 6th 2009, 01:31 PM

I personally would avoid nicotine products. It costs you a fair amount of money to buy them and you ultimately still have a nicotine addiction.

I would quit cold turkey... Chew gum or a hard sweet when you get a craving so you are doing something with your mouth. For a lot of people, it's all about routine... You have a break at school/college and the natural thing to do is go and smoke so you need to find something to bide your time to fill in these time gaps.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
france Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 7th 2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeen View Post
help me outttt

ive had a really bad sore throat the last few dayss and smoked only one ciggarrete in the meantime so i thought id build off it and turn my sickness into a good thing.

One thing that i need help with for quitting is what to do when i get the cravings. Because im so used to the habit of smoking when i drive, after i eat, break on work i neeed ideas to keep me from breaking that

heellllp me out

p.s. been smokin least a deck a day for the last three years.

last time i tried to quit i was bed ridden with the worst migrane i have ever experienced in my life :S
Quitting smoking is not a hard task now. There are various ways to quit smoking like medical treatment, artificial aids, hypnosis and other aids, etc. It gives immediate as well as long-term benefits. Visit this site: smokingharms.com where I acquired a lot of information about quitting smoking.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Seeen Offline
Average Joe

Re: Tips to Quit Smoking - April 8th 2009, 01:23 AM

ive smoked one cigarette in a week when i was drunk so i think im doing fine been smoking a lot more weed but not smokes which is sickkk

spitting up the grimiest shit though

Closed Thread