TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Our budget just isn't looking how I'd like for it to look. - April 9th 2009, 02:13 AM

I suppose I might need to find a job. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it, going on four months pregnant. The only places around here are Walmart, another little grocery store, McDonalds, a pizza place, or somewhere like that.

We need a little extra money. With needing gas in the car, food, and stuff during the week, it's not really leaving us any money left over to save for the baby, another car, and things that we really need.

It's going to be difficult because I'm pregnant and I have an ovarian cyst, so my back can really get to hurting sometimes, but I have to do it.

Not only that, but I feel bad having Matt go to work and me just stay here.

So any advice about the job or about saving money?

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Our budget just isn't looking how I'd like for it to look. - April 9th 2009, 02:22 AM

You could save money by cutting down on heating or only washing clothes once a week or something

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: Our budget just isn't looking how I'd like for it to look. - April 9th 2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
You could save money by cutting down on heating or only washing clothes once a week or something
Well, we're renting from my grandparents and all we're really paying for is our room and helping out to buy food, so it's not really that we have so many bills. We have car insurance, rent, gas, and sometimes his lunch at work during the week, but lately I've been trying to pack him a lunch instead of having him buy it there.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Our budget just isn't looking how I'd like for it to look. - April 9th 2009, 02:43 AM

I don't really know rural America, is the car necessary? Is it possible for Matt to get more hours? I don't mean to sound rude or harsh but it's unlikely you'd get hired especially if you had to leave within a couple of months although it's possible that agency or temporary work may work for you

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: Our budget just isn't looking how I'd like for it to look. - April 9th 2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
I don't really know rural America, is the car necessary? Is it possible for Matt to get more hours? I don't mean to sound rude or harsh but it's unlikely you'd get hired especially if you had to leave within a couple of months although it's possible that agency or temporary work may work for you
Yeah, he needs the car. His work isn't within walking distance. We live out in the country and his job is in town. The job he has is a full time job. Actually, it's one of the best paying jobs in town (aside from doctors, lawyers, etc.). On a good week, he makes about $40 more than he would on a not-so-good week. Not a whole lot of variation there, but it helps. He gets paid weekly. And I think that he's going to be getting a pay raise by the time his next check comes, so that's going to help out some too.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Our budget just isn't looking how I'd like for it to look. - April 9th 2009, 03:01 AM

Cheaper food?

My boss told me to invest in frozen veggies and rice in bulk, soy sauce in bulk, make cheapo stir fry. That's how she ate in college, apparently. You can also lower your food costs by buying less processed foods, buy fruits and veggies that are in season (or frozen), make soups (things like lentils aren't too bad either)? Eggs are cheap, bottled water is a waste of money.. I think there are online guides to bringing down food costs in a healthy way. Maybe google around?

Good luck, Chelsey. Take care.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: Our budget just isn't looking how I'd like for it to look. - April 9th 2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
Cheaper food?

My boss told me to invest in frozen veggies and rice in bulk, soy sauce in bulk, make cheapo stir fry. That's how she ate in college, apparently. You can also lower your food costs by buying less processed foods, buy fruits and veggies that are in season (or frozen), make soups (things like lentils aren't too bad either)? Eggs are cheap, bottled water is a waste of money.. I think there are online guides to bringing down food costs in a healthy way. Maybe google around?

Good luck, Chelsey. Take care.
Food isn't the issue. We don't actually buy the food ourselves. We just give her money to help her buy food. (And other little odds and ends needed around the house like lightbulbs, bathroom tissue, etc.) So yeah, my grandmother does all of the food shopping.

I don't know. Maybe we don't have a saving problem. I definitely think that we need to open a savings account and put in at least $50 a week. That way, it'll be in the bank and not here for us to spend, even if it is on something we need. We'll figure out a way to get those things. I'm going to try to get him to go to the bank with me Friday to open up a savings account, I think. That seems like it would be a good idea.

But I don't know. I still think I should get a job to help out.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Our budget just isn't looking how I'd like for it to look. - April 9th 2009, 04:00 AM

American public transportation sucks lee lol Car is a must.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
Closed Thread