TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Specialgirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy My boyfriends sister had a medical procedure on my birthday and I am not happy with her. - July 25th 2012, 07:50 AM

My boyfriend's older sister had a medical treatment on my birthday and I am not happy with her. She has to go in for these treatments every six weeks and one of her treatments took place on my birthday.She goes in for her treatments on a certain day of the week. Why did she have a treatment on my birthday. She didn't do anything for my birthday. I love my boyfriend though. Anyway, once I found out why she did not do anything for me on my birthday, I would not speak to her for two months. I am also upset now because she is scheduled to have a treatment a few days before my birthday and I think that she will not be able to celebrate my birthday with me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
WordNerd
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lindsay

Re: My boyfriends sister had a medical procedure on my birthday and I am not happy with her. - July 25th 2012, 08:10 AM

I'm sorry, I know it is your birthday, but it's not as though her life revolves around you. If she needs medical treatments, she needs them, regardless of what day they fall on. And while it might have been more considerate of her to do something for you or with you, you aren't her responsibility. I hope she will be able to but her taking care of herself is important.

"If you are going to tell the truth, be funny, or they'll kill you."
-Billy Wilder

My tumblr is mydalekromance.tumblr.com please visit me there.

feel free to contact me anytime.
Support for victims of sexual assault or abuse can be found here start the healing
  Send a message via AIM to llamasliketoparty  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: My boyfriends sister had a medical procedure on my birthday and I am not happy with her. - July 25th 2012, 08:19 AM

It's not her job to celebrate your birthday, it's her job to stay healthy.

The universe doesn't revolve around you, trust me, you'll figure that out someday.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My boyfriends sister had a medical procedure on my birthday and I am not happy with her. - July 25th 2012, 06:15 PM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp!

When I was younger, my parents would take time off from work in order to celebrate my birthday. Now that I'm older, I understand that your birthday is just another day - you can celebrate any time you want! I know it seems important to do it on the actual "birth day" right now, but trust me, as you get older, it won't matter as much. You'll probably end up postponing any celebrations until the weekend, or you'll be flexible and see different people throughout the week, whenever you both have free time to hang out and have fun.

As the other members have said, your boyfriend's sister's health is far more important than your birthday celebration. There is absolutely no reason why you can't celebrate with her the day before or after her appointment (and you can always invite her to celebrate with you, vs. waiting for her to initiate things). Also, I'm sure she didn't WANT to schedule it on your birthday, but she probably HAD to for a number of reasons. She may not have free time any other time during the week. Her doctors may not have been available any other time during the week. Her parents/brother/friends may not have been able to drive her to the appointment any other time during the week.

With time, you'll realize the day itself isn't that important, and you won't always get special treatment just because it's your birthday. You may have to work, you may have to drop everything in order to help a friend, you may not get cake and elaborate presents. Your life IS worth celebrating, but so is everyone'e else. Rather than asking everyone to focus on you and how awesome it is that you were born, why not focus on everyone else and how awesome it is that THEY were born? You wouldn't have all these amazing people in your life if they hadn't been. Essentially, every day should be a celebration of your "birth day" and everyone else's "birth days," because the very fact that you're alive and well is wonderful in and of itself. =)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My boyfriends sister had a medical procedure on my birthday and I am not happy with her. - July 26th 2012, 02:54 AM

I don't want to sound mean, but that sounds incredibly selfish. It's a medical treatment. It's not like she bailed cause she was getting her hair done instead. A medical treatment is pretty damn important. It's just a birthday, and she isn't obligated to have to do anything for you and the sooner you realize that the better. The world doesn't revolve around you. Yes, you are allowed to want things, but expecting someone who needs medical treatment (every 6 weeks is A LOT) makes you sound like a spoiled brat and I don't really feel like sugar coating that because it's true. A birthday is just another day. Do you have any idea how much it must suck for her to be so sick to need regular medical treatment?

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FuturesEnd45 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: My boyfriends sister had a medical procedure on my birthday and I am not happy with her. - July 26th 2012, 03:21 AM

It sounds like shes pretty sick and she needs the treatment. Im sure she didnt plan to have treatment on your birthday on purpose and she probably feels bad she missed out, I bet she wanted you to have a happy birthday. Did your boyfriend stay with her during her appointment? because Im sure she felt bad about that too, I know I would. You shouldn't be mad at her because she was sick and couldn't celebrate your birthday with you, its out of her control and Im sure she wishes she didnt have to have to do it every 6 weeks 10x more than you. Someones medical treatments shouldn't have to be altered because of you.

Maybe when shes feeling better you can all celebrate together because like Robin said you can celebrate it anytime For now try and support her ( and your boyfriend because someone being sick is pretty stressful on everyone. )
  Send a message via AIM to FuturesEnd45  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: My boyfriends sister had a medical procedure on my birthday and I am not happy with her. - July 26th 2012, 05:18 AM

With eventuality, the treatment will and on Christmas, on Easter, on Thanks Giving, on her own birthday... I promise you she doesn't appreciate it either.

However, you sound as though you have some issues with jealousy, as if you cannot stand your boyfriend to have his attentions distracted from you by any other female, even if it is his sister. This is not a positive quality.

It is too bad that she was sick, especially if you had a nice day planned, however you cannot hold someone responsible for something they cannot control. Her choice was to die, or have a birthday celebration. You have to understand she appreciated the choice no more than you did.

It's a shame, but you aren't being clear headed about this. Holding her responsible for a serious illness isn't coolm

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: My boyfriends sister had a medical procedure on my birthday and I am not happy with her. - July 27th 2012, 09:04 PM

You can't always change the date of medical treatments, especially if it's a life saving one such as a chemo therapy or kidney dialysis. She can't help when her treatment is. Just celebrate your birthday with her a few days later. I'm celebrating my birthday a day early. Simply because that when it suits everyone else.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread