TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Meowwings Offline
Bri;)
Not a n00b

Name: Briauna Hansen

My mom - September 26th 2012, 01:13 AM

Hey guys. My mom is bipolar and it really has gotten worse especially now that I'm in school. This post is basically to ask if anyone else has a diagnosed bipolar parent and if they could be someone I could vent to or we could converse about the trials it has brought us. I just want to know if anyone is having this problem as bad as me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My mom - September 26th 2012, 07:11 PM

My former stepmother (of four years) had bipolar disorder. Trust me, I can empathize. It didn't help that she failed to take her medication on several occasions, which led to psychotic breaks.

Do you have any other family members that can provide support to you and your mother? Is your mother seeking treatment for her mental illness?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Meowwings Offline
Bri;)
Not a n00b

Name: Briauna Hansen

Re: My mom - September 28th 2012, 03:58 AM

Nope. I have done much research and have discovered that she has hypothiroid which (in early life) can result in the impairment of how the brain develops. None of this is new to me. I just need to know I'm not the only one who feel like i'm in an emotionally abusive relationship with someone i am close to.I have been living with this for so many years, my dad left her because of it, and now I wish she could just be hospitalized. Every day I'm on edge thinking I will set her off.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
30kingswood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My mom - October 9th 2012, 02:26 AM

I know how you feel... I think my mom is bipolar, but she thinks I myself am bipolar (I'm not xD), and I know she would never take me seriously if I asked her to get checked out... I'm sort of worried.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Amelia113 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My mom - October 10th 2012, 05:47 AM

Just recently I have found out that my mother was diagnosed with being bipolar. However, she had never told anyone in our family about it. She was diagnosed 4 years ago and none of us never knew. I always knew she was temperamental but I never connected it with that. She had a troubled past and was medicated for anxiety and I thought that was the cause. Now it has gotten so bad that she just recently left my father and I. She took a car, got a job of her own (before just being a stay at home mom), got an apartment (that she wont let anyone know of her location). She would text me now and again and I let her know I was there to be her friend even though I have not seen her for 4 months now. There is now the possibility that she has manic disorder. She smokes and drinks and does no good for herself. She went to visit my aunt (her sister) and I was told that during the visit, my mom looked very rough and tired. I wonder if she is even aware of what she is doing to herself. My dad and I are doing everything we can to help her from the sidelines. My advice is to just make sure things dont get out of hand and if your mother is willing to listen (unlike mine) let her know how bad the condition can worsen if she does not get help of some sort.

Closed Thread