TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Zemie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Friends teasing me - October 8th 2012, 06:54 PM

I only have like three or so friends, I'm kind of shy, but they're really good friends and stuff and I do like them. Yeah but they're always teasing me about how I have a whiny voice and I'm really short. I am really short, I'm shorter than all of them and they're all girls, and I don't think they realize how much it bothers me. I've told them it bothers me a lot but they don't seem to get how it's wrong because they say being short is not a bad thing, but to me it is and I really hate it, it keeps me up at night thinking about it and makes me feel really anxious, so some advice on getting them to stop and helping myself not worry about being short would be helpful, thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Friends teasing me - October 9th 2012, 01:17 PM

You are only fifteen, so tell them you'll grow soon, you probably haven't hit your groth spurt or acheived puberty yet, so your voice will change, you will grow taller. Girls often think oh it's just a spot of fun, it won't do anything, he's a guy he'll laugh it off.
Don't get wound up on it, just laugh it off. Don't stew on it because you will grow, guys most of the time hit puberty later than females. Hell, my uncle didn't hit puberty till he was eighteen.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Friends teasing me - October 10th 2012, 05:52 PM

I've just broke 5'6", so I understand what you mean. It seems the whole "puberty" thing is basically done with me. Honestly though, if you biggest flaw is being short, then you've got quite a lot of positive things in your life.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ShesNotThere Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lee

Re: Friends teasing me - October 11th 2012, 12:59 AM

You're 15, so you still have plenty of time to grow taller. Your voice can still change, too. My brother kept growing until he was about 22 - it all depends on the individual. The next time they tease you, try to laugh it off. If they see that it bothers you, they might find it fun to keep teasing you. Hopefully they'll realize that it's getting old and they'll find something else to talk about.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Liminal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Friends teasing me - October 11th 2012, 02:21 AM

Zemie, the fact that your close friends are all girls may be getting in the way of their empathy here. In the West there's no cultural expectation for women to be tall, and in fact there's often just the opposite. Men, on the other hand, are expected to be tall and buff. Guys who don't conform to that expectation can feel just as down about themselves as women who don't meet the unrealistic and unhealthy expectation that they all be twig-thin runway models. This simply may not be something they can relate to, so it's harder for them to "get" how it feels when they tease you about this. I don't necessarily recommend this because you might hit a raw nerve, but you could bring up the teasing to them in body-image terms that are more relatable to them. Use your best judgment here, you know your friends better than some guy on the internet.

The other posters around here are right that you've got a lot of time left to grow. I won't belabor the point except to say that even if you don't get the growth spurt you're looking for, you can help your body image in other ways. Do you exercise? You're at the age now when you can get a ton of benefit for relatively little work compared to what people in their twenties and beyond have to put in, and being in shape does wonders for your self-esteem and confidence. Guys with smaller frames can often develop compact but very muscular physiques without a lot of trouble. My shortest male friend never broke 5' 8" or so, but he started working out and taking judo in high school, and he has a killer body.

Closed Thread