TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
InspJavert Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Friend age gap?? PLEASE HELP - October 13th 2012, 06:00 AM

So I'm almost 13. I have a good friend who is almost 19 and goes to college. It doesn't seem to bother her (our age gap). We met in a summer theatre program and extanged numbers on closing night. We don't always agree but we agree on most things and have a good time texting. Is this weird?? Should I stop texting her?? She's a great influence, but I sometimes feel weird about it. For you older girls, how would you feel about it if you were in our relationship?!? Thanks )by the way I'm very mature for my age

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Online
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Friend age gap?? PLEASE HELP - October 13th 2012, 06:14 AM

Well, let's see... I'm 23 years old, and I'm talking to you right now. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it, because I would see our friendship as more of a "mentorship," where I could help guide you through life's obstacles. No, I wouldn't see us as equals in many senses of the word (I mean, I'm an adult and you're barely a teenager... we're in completely different stages of life!), but I would still care about you and be able to respect you.

One problem I could foresee with this kind of relationship is hanging out with groups of people. One-on-one would feel okay for me, but having you hang out with my friends (or vice versa) could be very awkward. There's no guarantee you would relate to all my friends, and vice versa. Our friendship would be a unique exception... taken out of context, I'm not sure things would go as smoothly.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: Friend age gap?? PLEASE HELP - October 13th 2012, 07:11 AM

I agree 100% with Robin on this one! I don't think there is any issue with the friendship, but the big difference in age would make the friendship be more of a "mentorship" rather than a really close friendship. One on one, I think you're fine. I've personally had some friends that are quite a few years older, but those relationships usually were more like a "mentorship" in a sense. I knew I could go to them for advice on anything and they were always there. It was great. Were we best friends though? Not so much.

That goes back to Robin's point about the different groups of friends. Mixing those together would be really awkward and maybe not go so smoothly. But I think that one on one, the friendship is completely fine and you would have no reason to stop talking to her. =)

~Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Friend age gap?? PLEASE HELP - October 13th 2012, 08:52 AM

I'm friends with a 28 year old and we see eye to eye on everything. I mean, he actually respects me and want's my opinion! So, age gaps in friendship shouldn't apply. If this was a relationship though I'd say too old but friends of all ages are fun. The younger friends are good for acting like a kid again, same age friends are good for the goofy talk, the 'sex' talk, the 'hot guy' talk, and older people are good for being able to see from a different perspective. I love all my older friends and none of them look down on me because I'm younger

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

Closed Thread