TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
samanthastrick Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

blaming it on teenagers all the time?! - November 1st 2012, 01:54 PM

It just annoys me how adults normally blame stuff on teenagers.
Like for me, all the drama I get from my mum is somehow happening because I'm I teenager my dad said. I don't think that is really fair , I do think adults should take the blame too sometimes. I don't misbehave, but my mum has very high emotions all the time.
Does / did this ever happen to you,
What do think about this?

[Edited]

Last edited by PSY; November 1st 2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Edited title for OP.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

re: blaming it on teenagers all the time?! - November 1st 2012, 04:59 PM

I don't think people ALWAYS blame stuff on teenagers just for the sake of having someone to blame. I can sort of understand your experiences because some people get all hopped up over how university students are like a mass incarnation of the devil sent to test the respectable people and all we do is party and drink and we drive like we're nut cases escaped from the insane asylum. And I'm sitting there going errrr ok, you know, me and most of my friends are just as responsible as any adult. So it CAN be a bit frustrating when people are going to assume you will behave a certain way because of your age group, but that can fall into any category, and some of these assumptions people make aren't always fair. Like I had people try to tell me that I am essentially a hick (by default0 because I am from a small town in the middle of no where and it's like ok shut up you ignorant moron, and these are people who knew me and should have known better besides, being from a city doesn't make you more "cultured" or anything of the sort, you can be just as closed minded as someone from anywhere else.

But I find sometimes people just do stuff like that, you can't let it bother you when people overreact/have certain expectations of your behaviour that aren't necessarily accurate cause otherwise you'll never get any sleep. You have to recognize that if you want people to think any differently you have to let them SEE differently, if you are running around acting like a complete barbarian (AKA, partying, causing shit), then yeah, people will be like "oh, so she's one of THOSE teenagers/students", but I personally have never received any negativity due to my student/teenager status because I know to behave with maturity, I don't think i need to go to parties that'll just disturb everyone else to have fun and so on. So you have to ignore the stereotypes and just be who you are and ignore the rest

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ShesNotThere Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lee

Re: blaming it on teenagers all the time?! - November 2nd 2012, 12:01 AM

It bothers me as well. Mostly my parents, their explanation for any blip in my normally calm behavior is "well, she is a teenager", as if that's the only reason anyone would ever get emotional. Teenagers get a bad rep, because many of us fit into at least some of the stereotype. I let most of these comments pass, because I know that I'm a well behaved teenager. But when people say it so condescendingly...yeah, that strikes a nerve. Unfortunately, there isn't much to do besides proving the stereotype wrong.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: blaming it on teenagers all the time?! - November 2nd 2012, 12:05 AM

I know what you mean. If adults could take responsiblilty for their own actions teens and parents would get long famously. Well, better than usual. My mum dumps a tonne of crap on me, saying everything is MY fault when some of it, or most of it, is HER fault. Drives me nuts daily.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: blaming it on teenagers all the time?! - November 2nd 2012, 01:55 PM

My parents never pulled that "well, your a teenager" BS on me. It's true, that the level of maturity from a 16 year old (and the things a teenager wants no matter how responsible said teenager is) doesn't tend to be the same as a 40 year olds. So in some ways, if a teenager does do something a certain way it is "because they are a teenager" but it really shouln't be used against you and you really shouldn't be told that "being a teenager" is a bad thing.... And when you're age group is used against you as a "you should be like this" or "I am going to judge you without knowing you cause you fit into X category' or "I'm going to punish you because you OBVIOUSLY did this" etc is when I get frustrated... You're ALLOWED to act your age and not have it held against you and be treated like your doing something wrong. As long as you AREN"T doing something wrong (ex. lying to your parents so you can see a guy and stuff, because then I'm not going to blame them if they get angry)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: blaming it on teenagers all the time?! - November 3rd 2012, 03:27 AM

The only thing I dealt with as a teenager was when my mom said, "Stop giving me attitude!" I always thought, "WHAT attitude?!" If I was talking to my mom and expressed my opposing viewpoint nowadays, she wouldn't think twice about it. Because I was a teenager, though, suddenly, I had an "attitude." It was incredibly frustrating!

Closed Thread