TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
entangledmind Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sarah
Location: the dark abiss of my mind. the only place left untouched by unwanted company

How should I address my parents about not wanting to be homeschooled? - November 7th 2012, 05:11 PM

I'm about to turn 16, I've been home-schooled all my life. Up until now it was never that big of a problem but now I can't stand it. I hate being home ALL day, me and my mom have been getting in a lot fights when we work together, and it's really hard to stay focused when I'm doing school because of have no dead lines or the ones I have are pretty flimsy and I can get away from doing it.
I want to ask my parents about going to public school but I know how set against public school they are. They're afraid of the influences I will have in public school. What should I do? I really really want to talk to them about it but I'm almost 100% they'll say no or get mad at me for bringing it up.
How should I come across? I don't know what to do!

I tell people i'm
tired. But in reality

i'm just sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4wU...C66B1A12A9745D

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: How should I address my parents about not wanting to be homeschooled? - November 7th 2012, 05:51 PM

Hey Sarah, the more organized you are, the better chance you have. Make a list of all the reasons you know of that they don't want you to go and come up with counter arguments or responses to them. For example, if they're worried about influences, let them know that you understand their concern and then tell them how you plan to handle the situation. That way if they say what if this happens or that happens what will you do? you'll have responses for them and they can feel better about it. It might also help to remind them that you're almost 16 and you feel that you can handle the peer pressure that they fear you'll fall victim to because they've taught you how to handle yourself.

Also make a list of the valid concerns you have. Conflict with your mom is making things difficult, you would like stronger deadlines and more structure, that way, even if they say no, they can implement some of your suggestions to help make homeschooling easier.

As someone who was in public school for my entire education, their concerns about what you might be exposed to are valid, but if it helps your case I was never offered anything like drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. and it mostly depends on the friends you make.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; November 7th 2012 at 07:47 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: How should I address my parents about not wanting to be homeschooled? - November 7th 2012, 05:57 PM

I would explain to them that 99% of the first-world population attends public school, and most of society operates within a public school system. Explain your thoughts in a collected way, maybe even type up a report, if that will help you focus your thoughts, and keep calm.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

Closed Thread