TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Detritus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jordan

I just can't make a good impression.. - April 16th 2009, 05:57 PM

Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone knows but i've been homeschooled my whole life, and only in the last couple years have I really went out of my way to try to be sociable(but it's REALLY hard for me).

But, it seems that when I meet people, I don't usually leave a good impression, I try to be friendly and engaging and all but I can't help but be quiet the first time around, and this is really putting a hampering on the whole.. me having friends thing.

Like for instance, I went to hang out with these people for the first time with one of my best friends(He's homeschooled too mind you), and it was obvious that he made a great impression. Me... not so much.

I've seen these same folks I met with talking with him all the time on myspace, facebook etc, and when I try to initiate conversation, nobody really wants to talk to me. Hell, one of them even asked him to go to Prom with them, and he's only 15..

I'm honestly trying my hardest to be a friendly person(and before anyone asks, this IS me, i'm not trying to be someone that i'm not) but it doesn't seem like anyone really likes me very much.

Why is this? :/
  Send a message via AIM to Detritus  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: I just can't make a good impression.. - April 16th 2009, 07:33 PM

I have a lot of home-schooled friends. most of them are perfectly normal, which i think is because they get together with other home-schoolers at things like bowling leagues and ball-room dancing classes. this helps them a lot because they can be with people who understand where they are coming from and since they aren't just sitting having coffee, they don't have to talk constantly, they chat for a bit, then get up and bowl!
good luck!

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: I just can't make a good impression.. - April 16th 2009, 08:22 PM

Don't put too much importance on having been homeschooled; a lot of people go to public school from kindergarten to graduation and still don't have wonderful social skills. Mine are improving slowly, but even a year ago I was always the quietest one in the room. I still find it hard to be sociable; I'm simply just not a people person. People are big and loud and unpredictable and confusing and scary; I much prefer my books and music and equations, with just a few good friends who know me well enough to get past the awkwardness. Really, I don't think there's any magical advice to make you better at meeting and conversing with people. All you can do is keep putting yourself out there and keep practising and getting slowly better.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Detritus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I just can't make a good impression.. - April 16th 2009, 11:58 PM

Well the reason I'm putting so much emphasis on Homeschooling is because that played a MAJOR part in it, seeing as I didn't learn the social skills I was supposed to learn throughout my childhood.

Because it takes me some time to warm up to people, and it's making all the difference.. :/
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
wtp Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I just can't make a good impression.. - April 17th 2009, 01:01 AM

That's hard, I think most people can relate in one way or another.

Keep on trying though and don't compare yourself to your friend. Find people that want to talk to you, if they don't then don't waste your time.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Detritus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I just can't make a good impression.. - April 17th 2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtp View Post
That's hard, I think most people can relate in one way or another.

Keep on trying though and don't compare yourself to your friend. Find people that want to talk to you, if they don't then don't waste your time.
Well, I don't mean to compare myself to my friend or anything, but it's just really disappointing is all. I never hardly get any chances to meet new people, and when one rolls along, this kind of thing happens.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
wtp Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I just can't make a good impression.. - April 17th 2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
Well, I don't mean to compare myself to my friend or anything, but it's just really disappointing is all. I never hardly get any chances to meet new people, and when one rolls along, this kind of thing happens.
Do you have your license?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Detritus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I just can't make a good impression.. - April 17th 2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtp View Post
Do you have your license?
Not at the moment, no.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: I just can't make a good impression.. - April 18th 2009, 05:20 PM

Hey Jordan,

I think the reason you're comparing yourself to your friend and worried about impressions is because you are meeting new people in groups. Why not go without your friend to meet new people? He doesn't always have to be there. That way you wont need to feel worried about what your friend says or how he acts when you're around new people.

Also, have you tried joining any clubs or teams in your area? I find that those are ways to make some friends and get to know people. Or if you're interested in any kind of classes, that also could be a good idea. That way you could see people periodically and you can get a chance to grow used to talking with them.

You don't need to compare yourself to your friend. If you're quiet the first time you meet people, that's fine. A lot of people are shy. Just do your best to ask them questions and get them talking, and then you wont need to worry about it.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread