TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Hackers - July 2nd 2013, 04:11 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm sorry if this is under the wrong forum. Please feel free to move it if there is a better place for it.

So the day after I got out of school, it was about June 13, my old friend (Amber) from middle school friended me on Facebook. And right away she was asking me if I'm lesbian and such. She came out to me as bisexual and asked if I had a girlfriend. And I told her yes, I do. Now ever since she found out I'm bisexual she decided it was okay to call me things like "babe" and "you're sexy" and even say "I love you."

A few days later after she realized I wasn't going to go out with her, she started making up crap about my girlfriend. Which she doesn't even know who that is. Since I wouldn't break up with her, Amber decided to take it another step.

On Amber's account, Amber's supposed friend was messaging me saying Amber left a note behind and that I was the reason for her suicide. No this "Amber's friend" (they wouldn't provide me a name) was saying Amber's not doing so well due to her attempt of suicide. She asked if I would like to speak to Amber and I said yes. Except when I didn't reply with like in the first two seconds, Amber's friend asked "uthere" a thing that only Amber has ever done to me like that.

Now I started wondering why Amber's friend would sit there on a computer talking to me after her friend just attempted suicide.

Anyway, Amber came back on her account to talk to me and blamed me for her suicide attempt because I wouldn't go out with her. And saying we're not friends if I don't post about her and such. Cuz all I do is post about my friend Beth.

Another thing I didn't get was how Amber was completely fine to talk to me on the computer after she just attempted suicide.

The next day Amber called me and she brought up a friend of hers that was self harming and she didn't know why. Then went on to tell me that she (amber) only cut herself like twice in middle school and it wasn't even bad.

Later on, maybe a few days later I asked Amber what she did to attempt suicide. And she went on saying because she didn't have me as a girlfriend. And I told her that's not what I asked.. and so I asked her again. And then she went on to tell me that she cut herself.

I didn't point it out to Amber that I thought she was lying about suicide. Instead I just kept talking to her and being nice. But then she started messaging my friend Beth and was saying that Beth is cute and that she loves her and everything else. Just like she did to me, but Beth has a boyfriend. So Amber was making up lies about Beth's boyfriend.

So last night, Amber brought up Beth and I told Amber she has a boyfriend. And she kind of gave me attitude. And so I said the word "yeah" and she flipped out on me and we got into this huge fight. So I got depressed and Amber was I guess trying to make me feel better. Then said she was going to attempt suicide again because I'm fighting with her and stuff. So then this turned into all about Amber.

And by this time I kind of had enough of Amber's crap by blaming me about her suicide that she never even attempted.

So I told her I was sorry for the reason she wants to end her life. (not the best way to handle it, but it was 4 in the morning and I was under a lot of stress.) Of course I told her thing like suicide isn't the answer and so forth.

She messaged me back saying, who said it was your fault I want to end my life? And I brought up back in June with me not being her girlfriend and stuff. Then she comes back at me saying it wasn't her, somebody hacked her Facebook account. So she went through all of her messages with people and told me I was the only person the hacker was after. But I told Amber that I made a status for her and her personal self liked it we talked on the phone together about it. And the cutting thing. Well she goes around and says the last time she cut was her freshman year of high school. When on the phone she told me when she was in middle school.

So I didn't want to have to deal with any more "I'm her reason for suicide" so I told Amber to make a new Facebook account and she refused saying she already had too many. So I told her to change her password about three times til she got the point that I was never going to talk to her again unless her Facebook had somewhat little more protection. Then she went on saying her mom tracked this hacker down and its either from the city Amber is currently living in. Or the city Amber and I went to school in. The same city her cousin lives in.

So I decided since this hacker went after me for quite a few days and they could possibly be from the city I go to school in, I decided I shouldn't have a Facebook. That I was going to deactivate my account cuz I don't want the hacker to come after me ever again and make me feel terrible for being a reason somebody ends their life.

After Amber finally got the point that I was going to deactivate my Facebook account, she messaged me back saying her account is safe now. I don't have to deactivate my account. Shortly after, I deactivated my account to prevent any harm from future hackers.

Now my question is, do you guys think I should still talk to Amber and not deactivate my Facebook account? Like do you guys think I could still trust her based on what is given here.

Or do you guys think that Amber was lying about suicide and the hacker story?

Please let me know what you guys think, I know you can't give exact answers and tell me how to live my life. Any thoughts or suggestions of what I should do?

Thank you guys so much,
Rachel

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Hackers - July 3rd 2013, 01:31 AM

I find the whole story a little bit strange actually. She sounds manipulative. Like she screwed around with you about the suicide, realised she was messing up and then went on to make up a story about a hacker. In all honesty, if someone gets hacked the typical reaction is to either tighten security OR to make a new account NOT to track down the general area of the hacker and just leave it at that. I mean, if you wanna track down a hacker go ahead but really it seems weird to me that she wasn't trying to stop it and only claimed to make her account safer once she realized just how serious you were about deactivating your own account.

Who knows, maybe it's all true and your friend is just an idiot, but the story just raises flags, alarms, bells, what ever the hell else all over the place

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Hackers - July 3rd 2013, 05:22 PM

I've had friends' Facebook accounts get hacked, and while I don't enjoy receiving strange messages from them, I don't completely deactivate my account, either. I just let me friends know something is suspicious (via call/text, because why would I send a message to their hacked Facebook account?), then wait to see how they respond (deactivate their account, change their password, and/or make a new account). Personally, I don't think the problem here is the hacker - it's your friend's overall immaturity and manipulative tactics. If you're going to do anything on Facebook, I'd suggest removing her from your friends list, blocking her so she can't look you up, changing your privacy settings so only friends can see your information, and declining any friends requests from Amber or people you don't recognize as "real-life friends" (because they could be Amber's friends or Amber posing as someone else). It seems so much simpler to just cut this one piece of drama out of your life, vs. avoiding Facebook altogether and continuing to wonder if the hacking/suicide attempt ever happened in the first place.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Hackers - July 8th 2013, 12:48 AM

Thank you guys so much! This helped me a lot. I will try to be more careful on the Internet and leave things alone as they are. Thanks again guys.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

Closed Thread