TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sportygirlwba Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,226, Level: 11 Points: 6,226, Level: 11 Points: 6,226, Level: 11

Question Me and my parents argue but only at times?? - August 31st 2013, 06:43 AM

Me and my parents can have days when we hardly ever argue and we have great days out with one another but at other times we can be each others worst enemy.
Most of the times me and mum are fine together until my dad gets home and everyone argues.
I know that it is always me that is the one that causes all these arguments.

How can I put a stop to this? Why does this always happen?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Name: Michelle
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 20,045, Level: 20 Points: 20,045, Level: 20 Points: 20,045, Level: 20

Re: Me and my parents argue but only at times?? - August 31st 2013, 10:20 AM

You mentioned that you're the 1 that seems to always cause these arguments. Why do you think it is you? From the little bit that you have said all I can say is whatever causes these arguments, if it's started by you, then simply try to avoid doing or saying whatever it is that starts them. Or talk to them and see why these always start up at certain times.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Me and my parents argue but only at times?? - August 31st 2013, 08:30 PM

You are not the only one who fights with your parents. I used to fight the most with my dad and less with my mom just like you. It wasn't like I was innocent wither. Sometimes I'd provoke my dad just cause he said something that bugged me, or I'd be in a bad mood, but he provoked me too. It wasn't like we did it on purpose and sometimes the fights were genuine. I found part of it was for me that I think we took pent up stress and anger out on him. I was also angry cause I felt like my dad spent more time on my brother and didn't care about me and also to rarely took the time to care about what was going on with me vs. how much time he spent on my brother. We have a much better relationship since I started university and we also found common ground to talk about.

Your own personal "why" of it could easily be different. But trust me when I say that it isn't necessarily something easy to identify. I wasn't always able to put words to my issues with my father either. I'm just hoping that hearing how it was for me will help you begin to identify why it is like that for you. So really think about your relationship with your dad, dig around for any nagging resentment and why, think about anything that stresses you out and how your dad might be the parent more likely to draw those feelings forward etc.

If you want to talk more PM me ok

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread