TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

I don't even know what to do anymore - September 5th 2013, 04:49 AM

This isn't a trigger warning, but this contains content that some may consider graphic.

This is going to sound absolutely CRAZY, but I swear it's all true. And I apologize in advance for the length

My cousin's family is going through a TON right now and my family (namely my grandma and my uncle) are not being very sympathetic or supportive. I guess I'll start with some of the backstory:

My uncle J is a retired firefighter/paramedic. He was forced to retire early and receives workers comp. due to a serious back injury that happened I don't even know how long ago. He is in constant severe pain and is on steroids for pain management. Somehow this causes him to be imuno-suppressed meaning that he is constantly sick because he catches EVERYTHING. So, on Aug. 25th he ended up in the emergency room with "raging cellulitis" in his foot after he got sunburned. He's been in the hospital since and they're letting him go home, but he has to go to the hospital everyday for bandage changes etc. and he is likely facing an amputation (I'm not sure if they've officially made the decision yet or if they have the choice at all).

My grandma and my other uncle, M do not like Uncle J for some reason (I have no idea why, I have never had issues with him). Actually, most of my family doesn't like him. He is my uncle by marriage, but again I have NO IDEA what their problem is. Anyway, grandma and Uncle M have similar back issues that happen to be genetic and they have no sympathy for Uncle J whatsoever because they say he complains a lot.

Now, my grandma has A TON of medical problems, most of which she has some degree of control over (if they weren't preventable, she could do things to improve them) and she does not take care of herself, yet she complains CONSTANTLY. and we're not allowed to say a damn word about it because if someone were to point this out to her it would be World War 3 so no one wants to go there. Yet Uncle J complains about his medical conditions that he has NO control over whatsoever and grandma goes on about how he's "WHINING" and both she and Uncle M made a joke that him having his foot amputated would be KARMA (supposedly for whatever it is about him that they don't like).

On top of that, my aunt is trying to plan a baby shower because my cousin's wife is pregnant and due in 6 weeks. The friend that was supposed to help her was just diagnosed with a brain tumor so she can't do as much as expected and my aunt also has to take care of my uncle now. I feel really bad because she would literally do anything for anybody, but she refuses to ask for help when she obviously needs it. Grandma and Uncle M have compassion for her because she has to deal with Uncle J, but I'm seriously ready to hit them. I mean, I understand that you don't like him, but he is family and certain situations (ie probable AMPUTATION of a limb) mean that you put that shit aside. And then to say that it's fucking KARMA You have got to be KIDDING ME. My family has been a mess for a long time, but since when do we allow an 86 year old woman and an almost 43 year old man act like fucking 4 year-olds?!?! If anybody has any coping strategies to suggest I'm open to them. I'm seriously so far at the end of my rope with these people I can't even tell you!

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: I don't even know what to do anymore - September 17th 2013, 01:41 PM

That is alot going on I'm sorry, I hope things are or will get better in your family soon!

Closed Thread