TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Justlonely Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Doesnt care or doesnt know how to help? - October 7th 2013, 04:55 AM

So my best friend in the past has been supportive and caring and tries to help when im really depressed. But the other night in the middle of our normal texting conversation i randomly brought up how i dont feel like i can keep going anymore and how death would be nice. And normally any person would be concerned or would talk to you about it right? Well he didnt respond at all that night and didnt text me at all for two days. So in my head i just see it as he doesnt care all that much but could it be cause he doesnt know what to do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Doesnt care or doesnt know how to help? - October 7th 2013, 05:20 AM

It could be that he doesn't know what to do. It could also be that he thinks you're doing it for attention (I DO NOT believe this) and so he thinks he's "helping" by ignoring it. Again, I do NOT believe you are doing it for attention, but he might.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Doesnt care or doesnt know how to help? - October 8th 2013, 03:48 AM

Most likely, if I had to guess, he is doing this because he doesn't know what to say or what to do. I found that when I was first introduced into the subject of self harm, I had no idea what to say to my best friend who was doing it. I was speechless, and for awhile I found myself ignoring him. Eventually I started to gain knowledge on the subject, and I was way more open to talking to him about it.

So don't think he's ignoring you to make you feel bad, or because he doesn't care. My guess is that he does care, but he's alittle scared and confused about it all (which I think is understandable). Give him alittle time and then try talking to him.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ag36 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Allie

Re: Doesnt care or doesnt know how to help? - October 9th 2013, 06:27 PM

It's probably because he doesn't know what to do. He has heard you do this before and doesn't know how to help you, it is neither one of your faults. You can't do anything and neither can he, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Doesnt care or doesnt know how to help? - October 9th 2013, 10:29 PM

I agree with the other members who responded to your thread. Another possibility is that your best friend is getting "burned out." If you talk about being depressed on a frequent basis, and don't "share the burden" among a number of people, your best friend could begin to feel physically and emotionally exhausted due to being your one source of support. Of course, it's not your fault if he's the only person you feel you can open up to, and it's not his fault if he's reaching his physical and emotional limits. You might want to begin finding other people you can turn to, though, such as a mental health professional who can "contain" everything you're feeling and provide a safe, consistent place for you to talk about what you're going through. That would leave you with more time to talk about "lighter" material with your best friend and give him a break from the "darker" material.

Closed Thread