TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kaylanimenerd Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Help - November 18th 2013, 04:56 AM

Hey guys, man where do i start. A few weeks ago i found out that both my parents have been drug addicts since before my older sister was born. My mom sneaks out in the middle of the night to do crack, my dad misuses his pain pills because he has a his tolerance for them, so he takes more than supposed to be directed by his doctor. I live in a thing that's close enough to call a shack. my family never has money, we run out of food often as well. I have one older sister, two younger sisters and a little bro whose 3 years old. Luckily he lives with my dads parents away from all of this hardship. the rest of my sisters and me share 1 room that's about 12X12 feet, no elbow room of you know what i mean. I get good enough grades to at least get a small scholarship to a medical school since I've resolved never to be the kind of parent that mine were. but I'm doing it alone. I've had suicidal thoughts before, i told my elder sister and all she had to say to me was " No one said that life was easy so don't take the bitch way out." and i took those words to heart. Anyways my dad is trying to get help for the pill misuse and im trying to support him, but school work on top of the chores no one else in this godforsaken house can do, I'm stuck. And I've realized that I've become depressed. I've never liked asking for help but... Help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Help - November 18th 2013, 06:29 PM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp!

Everyone needs help at various points in their lives. There is absolutely no shame in reaching out to us, or to anyone you know in "real life." It sounds like your living situation is far from ideal, and many people would even call what you're experiencing "child neglect." Child protective/family services could get involved at this point - have you and your siblings considered reaching out to a social worker?

Many people worry about being taken away from their parents once organizations like CPS or DCFS get involved... but these organizations' ultimate goal is to reunite families, once the parents have taken the necessary steps to ensure they can properly care for their children. That would mean drug treatment for your parents (which is something your father is already striving for), and some proof that they're able to provide you with your basic needs (adequate shelter, food/water, clothing, etc.).

Before calling your local organization, it might be a good idea to talk to your siblings. If you claim there has been neglect, but your siblings deny it, then you may not get all the support you need. If your siblings are united and all want to receive help, then you're more likely to get the support you need. By the way, support DOES include mental health services... so if you need to talk to a social worker/counselor/therapist about how you're feeling, that can be arranged.

I wish you and your family all the best! Feel free to keep us updated on your situation.

Closed Thread