TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kelsey-marie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy I think my dad dislikes me. - May 2nd 2009, 01:55 AM

Okay well here it goes. I don't think my dad likes me. I've never once heard him say he was proud of me but all the time he tells my sister he's proud of her. He never tells me good job if i get straight a's or anything else. One day i mentioned to my mom that i didn't think my own father liked me and all she said was, "Well i like you," ??? I'll tell you the truth it really hurts me i mean if my own dad can't stand me then how can anyone else? All the time I'm searching for his aproval but i never get it. Whenever I say something my dad and my sister gang up on my and make fun of me. I pretend it doesn't bother me but in reality i have to hold back tears. He seems to look down on me like I'm not worth his time. It hurts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
liquidchill Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Flannery

Re: I think my dad dislikes me. - May 2nd 2009, 07:23 PM

I'm so sorry you feel this way. You don't deserve it, no one does. You asked your mom about it, but did you ever ask ur dad? I don't think he has any reason to favor your sister over you, maybe he just doesn't know how. Has it been like this for a long time? Talking to anyone can help you. on here, your mom, your sister, and even your dad. Tell him how unhappy and uncomfortable you are with the situation, he's your dad and you should be able to have a healthy relationship with him,

Good luck xoxo
Flannery.

I'm kinda new...but I hear I give good advice, plus I'm a great listener so PM with anything!! I'm all ears...or eyes rather =]

She likes him...he likes her...welcome to heartbreak.

If the truth hurts, and love stinks...then true love must realllly suck.

-xo Flannery
  Send a message via AIM to liquidchill  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
wtp Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I think my dad dislikes me. - May 3rd 2009, 01:55 AM

Screw him, a lot of parents suck.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: I think my dad dislikes me. - May 3rd 2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtp View Post
Screw him, a lot of parents suck.
Exactly. Not all parents are good.

I'm almost sure my mom doesn't like anything I do. I moved out on the night of my 18th because I couldn't stand living where I was living. My dad was rarely ever around, but has stepped up as a father as of late. I wouldn't be who I am today If I lived under their rule.

You can't live under your parents forever. You can't let what they think hold you down. If you're doing the right thing, and pursuing your life in a positive way, then who cares what they think.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: I think my dad dislikes me. - May 3rd 2009, 03:23 AM

Sorry about that, kelsey...
I know exactly how you feel. I don't think my dad likes me either. We've always had clashing personalities and he's called me a "bad person" and "fool" more times than I care to recall. And it does hurt. But you have to think that his approval and what he thinks of you is not a universal view nor something that you should sweat about at all if you're not doing anything wrong. What matters is how you feel about yourself and your accomplishments. If you are doing good things, than you deserve approval and don't ever let anyone else tell you or make you feel different. If he doesn't like you, well, to hell with it. You don't need him to like you if you are a good person.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
kelsey-marie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I think my dad dislikes me. - May 3rd 2009, 03:58 PM

Thanks you guys and your advice does really help. : )

(#7 (permalink)) Old
findingmyway Offline
Not a n00b

Name: noureen

Re: I think my dad dislikes me. - May 3rd 2009, 04:53 PM

I feel the exact same way. i am an only child so i guess its good that i am not constantly being put down i guess, but my dads a jerk, whenever i get good grades or something like that he reminds me of something i did bad in. He calls me stupid and stuff like that. But you know what, i dont care anymore. its his loss that he cant see the talent in me. he has flaws too, so now everytime he critisizes me, i critizise him about his low end job and how my mums the breadwinner instead of him. if he want to make me feel worthless (which isnt working by the way) i am going to do the same. my dads horrible sister lives with us and shes always talking about her kids and how amazing they are but theyre really not, they havent even graduated university and theyre pretty old so. she also talks about how much money she has (but shes living with us and we support her financially) and i rub that in his face about how much she gave her children and how he cant even give me 1% of that. try the same tactic. remember you are not worthless regardless of what your dad says. you are your own person and one day you will be free from all this and you will be super amazing, i bet you already are

Closed Thread