TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

They don't want me - March 19th 2014, 05:38 PM

Heyyyyyyyo.

So for reasons I won't go into because it will make the thread really long, my parents don't want me to live in their house, my grandma doesn't want me to live with her (or my parents won't allow it) and I have no where else to go. In September I'll be living alone at uni, but for now I'm living at a home where they evidently don't want me and it's causing tension and I'm thrown out a lot of the time anyway. This is making me feel pretty unwanted

Any tips on making it easier to live in a place you know you aren't wanted, or can you think of any other solutions? I try to be as non confrontational as possible but a lot of the time it just doesn't work. I feel kinda like a burden wherever I go.

Take as long as you need.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: They don't want me - March 19th 2014, 06:06 PM

Only 2 things I can think of is maybe see if you can spend some time at friends houses? Also have you tried talking to your parents to figure out why they don't want you living there and seeing if maybe you can get it worked out. Not really sure what's going on so just offering advice based off what I know. I hope things improve for you, hang in there!

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: They don't want me - March 19th 2014, 07:02 PM

I can't remember if you're a minor based on the laws of your country. If you are, then you can get child protective services involved, as your parents are your legal guardians. They could be considered negligent if they don't meet your basic needs.

If you're NOT a minor, then unfortunately, your options are limited. You can try to make amends with your parents, depending on the situation (if it's a matter of pride/ego, then it may be wise to set that aside for a few months... but if they are posing a risk to your physical or mental well-being, then that's another story). You can contact extended family members and friends to see if you can spend time in their homes (perhaps splitting it up, so no one feels overburdened by your long-term stay in their home). You can contact local agencies that offer low-cost or free housing (some actually cater to young adults who can no longer live with their parents but can't support themselves because they're unable to obtain a job). If you are able to work part-time, then it may be possible to share a room with someone (my fiancé used to rent a house with NINE other people... 4-5 people would share the upstairs room/studio, and they each ended up paying less than $200/month in rent, which is very affordable in southern California).

I'm sorry to hear about your current situation, and I wish you all the best! Feel free to keep us updated on your situation.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: They don't want me - March 19th 2014, 10:27 PM

I turned 18 in December so unfortunately, yes I'm a legal adult I think it's gonna be a case of grin and bear it spaced in between short spaces away from home when things get really bad. Thank you guys a lot for your help!

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread