TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Not my damm child - April 9th 2014, 12:41 AM

The past 3 months ive been stuck watching my nephew bentley every fucking day except for the weekends. See, he has a mother, but she would rather go out with her numerous boyriends or go drinking. But recently, within the past week she has started learning for a job at a nursing home for the next 4 weeks. Even though she wont take it on as a career. -____- So im stuck watching bentl;ey for every monday to friday from around 3pm until midnight on some days, other days its only til 7pm. But its frustrating as all hell, he wasnt disciplined so he destroys everything, and since my father gets home to watch him, hes (bentley) not allowed to sleep and its really unfair but my parents dont give a shit. And more recently i ahve had to cancel plans on fridays nights at youth, and getting tattooed ive had to cancel (even though ive had it planned since the week before), they just tell me "oh we all ahve to amke sacrifices". Bullshit! They make me watch him all the time, so they can go out. Its not fucking fair to me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DemonQueen Offline
amber_teh_shark since 2004
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: Not my damm child - April 9th 2014, 05:09 PM

Put your foot down and tell your parents and your sister that you won't watch him anymore. Tell your sister that she needs to be a responsible parent and stay home and watch her child, or better yet have her put him in daycare so she can work/hang out with her friends during the day. It's absolutely unfair that they have you watch your nephew five days a week.

Have you thought about disciplining him? You're with him enough for him to know that YOU are the boss, not him. Tell him no, put him in time out, teach him the right way to act. I wouldn't necessarily go as far as spanking him (I do believe in spanking, as I spank my son when he's being really naughty) but a slap on the hand/pat on the butt should do the trick. What types of things does he do in regards to destroying everything?

I've been through hell and back and came out stronger than ever.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Re: Not my damm child - April 9th 2014, 10:42 PM

I've tried putting my foot down, they dont care, they say ive got to watch him. She wont put him in a dycare because she doesnt want to, shes too broke (i think) or too cheap. Plus the last daycare he was put in, he got kicked out of. Yeah, its totaly fucking unfair Im stuck watching him while my parents or sisters go out for dinner or to a movie or even out drinking. When I refuse to watch him, they say i dont watch him enough and they get all issed off and walk away. -____-
As for disciplingi him well i have and continue to do that, but as his mother doesnt and tells him what hes doing is right, it doesnt work all that well.
In regards to destroying everything, he rips apart brand new books, throws his food, smashed dishes (he will grab them out of the cabinet, and throw them, then laugh about it.) He yells and hits everyone, all around hes just a monster.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Not my damm child - April 9th 2014, 11:00 PM

My goodness! That child certainly seems to be out of control. It sounds like you have exhausted most of your options, so at this point, you may want to ask yourself if it's worth staying in your parents' home (I'm assuming that's your current living situation - please correct me if I'm wrong!). I understand that your nephew is the primary source of stress at the moment, but your parents don't seem to be terribly supportive, either. What would happen if they started asking you to babysit 24/7? If you can't draw a line with them, and if other tactics don't work (e.g., leaving your home before your nephew is dropped off, thus forcing the other adults to make alternate arrangements), then maybe it's time to strike out on your own. Are you a full-time student? Do you have a part-time job? Start exploring your options, because there's more to this than the short-term problem of what to do with your nephew. For example, a full-time job would not only allow you to be away from home (thus relieving you from watching your nephew for as many hours per week as you currently do), but it would also give you the ability to start saving up for eventually moving out of your parents' home (thus providing you with a greater sense of freedom).

Closed Thread