TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fmpro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Why commit a crime and then turn yourself in? - May 27th 2014, 02:26 AM

my mom committed a financial crime and is now in jail for six months. She admitted it to me and my dad one day after a while of looking nervous. She said she needed to turn herself in and my dad agreed and they went to the police station to do so. I wonder, though if they did not find out, why go and turn yourself in?

also, is this weird, I have talked to my on the phone while she is there and for some reason I feel more comfortable being open with her about anything now then when she was actually here. Any reason why I would feel that way now?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: Why commit a crime and then turn yourself in? - May 27th 2014, 03:58 AM

Hey there,

I can imagine that your mom being in jail would be a really difficult thing to deal with, and I don't blame you for being confused and having questions. There's really no way to know for sure why your mom committed the crime and why she turned herself in, unless you ask her these questions yourself. Maybe she felt guilty or remorseful for the crime that she committed and felt like she needed to face the consequences in order to make up for her mistake. Or maybe she thought turning herself in would give her a lighter sentence than if she was caught further down the line. There could be a number of reasons that she chose to do this, and I think your best bet is to talk to her and try to find out what her reasoning was. That's really the only way to know for sure.

A lot of times it's easier to talk to someone and to confide in them when you're not face to face. I've always had a hard time discussing certain things with my family members. There's something about being face to face with someone that makes it more difficult to talk about certain things as opposed to talking about them on the phone or over text message. It's also easy to feel like you have to be careful what you say around family members because you live together and you want to avoid conflict at home. You don't have to worry about either of these things right now and I would imagine that makes it easier to confide in your mom. It's not weird at all, and I think it's a good thing that you're able to remain close with your mom despite all that has happened.

I hope this helped answer some of your questions, and that talking with your mom can clear up some of your confusion. Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk. Take care!

Closed Thread