TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: bayleigh

why do i need her to approve of me? - July 31st 2014, 01:11 AM

have you ever had a friend, and then you see them after a long time, and suddenly they arent very nice, and you feel like a bug who is annoying them?

yeah. its so much fun. ive been in a summer language program for 3 years (tomorrow is graduation) and last year i became friends with this girl, ill call her G. we both like books and dislike stupidity and listen to the same bands, ect. we spent breaks debating books and rolled our eyes across the classroom at each other when our classmates acted like idiots.

this year, she seems to look down at me. i feel tiny and stupid no matter what i do. ive never been someone who cares what people think of me, but for some reason i feel like i need her to approve of me. when she called me stupid, i felt broken.

a week or so ago, we (along with the other girls in our class) decided we were going to have a sleepover after classes were over. well apparently it is happening. how did i find out? i can hear them talking about it, but no one invited me. why does this hurt me so much? why do i care what she thinks of me.

Creativity takes courage
-Henri Matisse

PM/VM me if you just need to talk. trust me, i don't mind

(#2 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: why do i need her to approve of me? - August 12th 2014, 03:19 PM

Hey Bayleigh,

I totally get how you're feeling. It's like you know that they're not being a nice person and that you should not be bothered with someone who's not nice to you, but at the same time you care a lot about how they view you. Am I right?

If I am, then the reason you feel this way is because she was previously a great friend of yours. We all value the opinions of our friends because they mean a lot to us. They're the people we want to be around and have fun with, and most often, we share a lot of opinions with them. So when one of them starts telling you that you're stupid or anything derogatory, we feel that we must have done something wrong or we feel just really hurt. And because friends mean so much to us, we really want to prove to them that we're not all that they said.

And I know that you didn't ask about what you should do, but I think that to deal with this, you should talk to her about how she's been belittling you and how it has made you feel. But if you do not want to, then the next best bet would probably just be to forget about her. People change, and we cannot expect our relationships with them to remain the same forever.

Message me if you would like to talk

Hope I helped,

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
Closed Thread