TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Staypositive Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brianna

Post what a tangled web of lies we weave... - January 19th 2015, 07:57 AM

So my dad and gram, whom I live with, are under the impression I am extremely trusting and nave. Because of that, I'm not allowed on ANY social media whatsoever. Although secretly, I do have th, and one other social media, which we shall call sm ( short for social media) for the purposes of this thread. sm is very similar to th, but it has a four digit PIN, instead of an account name.
Yesterday, I was pming my close friend on sm, while watching Netflix with my dad, and we each decided we should get kik. So I downloaded kik. I guess I was a little secretive, because my dad looks over at me and demands to see my phone. I was about to find my friend, whom we shall call Ruth, on kik. So my kik had no chats yet. my dad saw my kik, and he kept looking through the phone to see what else I was hiding. He saw my sm app, and he got onto the threads, but could not get into the pm part due to the PIN. So he says to me, "Brianna, listen to me carefully. You have two choices here. You can give me the code, and be in less trouble, or not give me the code. Which I will figure out, and you will be in worse trouble." I did not give him the code, because I knew he was bluffing and would not guess my code (which was 8118). After he repeatedly tried the ones that he always uses (1111, 2222, 3333, 4444, 5555, 6666, 7777, 8888, 9999, 0000, 1234, 2345, 3456, 4567, 5678, 6789, 7890, 1010, 1212, 5150, and 7170) for six hours, he decides to see what he can find out from me. He asks me to tell him the code or never see my phone again. So I turn on fake tears, and say " I don't know it. I made this sm account a week ago, and I made one thread before I forgot the code: "hi, im new to this app, haven't made any threads yet, can somebody show me how exactly this app works?" "I have been trying to get back in, but I can't."
As my luck would have it, I get a pm right then saying "(cuss word), what is up with this? None at all?" (In response to "I am actually not allowed on any social media) (it was a chat between me and this girl who asked if I had twitter). So this made my dad suspicious, because if I hadn't been on in six days, why was I just now getting responses?
But I stuck to my story. My dad decided to look and see what else I was hiding on my phone and try that code later. He sees my diary app, which I have had for a year now. It also has a code, three digits. "What is in here?", my dad inquired.
"Poems."
"About what?", my dad asks. Well, that app full of poems was my way to vent about everything. Anytime I was feeling suicidal, depressed, angry, hurt, unloved, wanted to self-harm, or was struggling with anything, I wrote a poem about it to cope. Which actually did help, but I had promised my dad a long time ago that if I was suicidal, I would talk to him (I have attempted a few times, and my dad knows about that obviously, but I have managed to hide the rest from him). And I knew he would be very upset and it would not turn out well, so I lied again: "Well really its not plural, its one poem, about acne." Which I have been blessed with extremely clear skin, but he believed it. But then he asks me if I am upset about anything, with anybody, if I hate myself, my life, him, etc. I lied again: "Of course not, life is great, I am awesome, you are great, I am perfectly happy."
He asked for that code (318), which I told him I had also forgotten. I am always pretending to forget to do things, so it was believable enough. he tried for hours to guess that code, using three digit variations of the ones he tried for sm. By the time he gives up, it is three in the morning, and he fell asleep with me next to him. So I stole back my phone and deleted all 89 poems, wrote a short little rhyming rant about nonexistent acne problems, and put the phone back where he had it. Then I woke him up, and said I was going to bed. He told me not to use my laptop, and we would discuss it further in the morning.
I got treated to a lecture about how cyberbullies are on social media sites, how you never know who you are talking to, and how I am not socially mature enough for those sites. Then my dad deleted my sm and kik, and grounded me for one week from my phone and laptop. But he left my laptop in my room, trusting that I will not use it.
Well Ruth and I exchanged emails a long time ago just in case one of us was no longer able to use their sm account for any reason, so we could continue talking. So I asked Ruth to use her account on sm, message these people whom I pm a lot, and explain that she is my friend, that I lost my account, but that they should email me for more info on that. which 97 people already have.
But I have to betray my dad's trust that I will not use my laptop because I do not have my poem app to vent, so I am venting to Ruth, who says she will stay up all night if I need her to, just so I have some way to vent. Which she doesn't need to do, but I have done it for her more times than I can count, so she feels like its the right thing for her to do, and she is extremely stubborn, so I cannot talk her out of it.
But I had to tell all these lies, just so my dad wouldn't get upset with me. Which I have NEVER outright lied to anybody before, I am a very honest person. I rarely even lie by omission, I just avoid the subject so I don't get in this kind of situation. I am now basically living a lie because I said i would never use social media again, and swore up and down that i was hiding nothing else. So all this over kik. huge mistake. NOW I AM IN THIS WAY TOO DEEP TO ADMIT TO LYING.

Moral of this drama: DON'T LIE, GO BEHIND FAMILY'S BACKS, DON'T DO THINGS YOU ARE TOLD NOT TO DO. NOT WORTH ALL THIS.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: what a tangled web of lies we weave... - January 19th 2015, 02:30 PM

Hey Brianna,
I'm sorry for all this mixup with lying and such. I just wish your dad would trust you more or none of this would happen.
I think it is typical to go behind someone's back if you feel you can handle what he is telling you you cannot handle. I've lied before too, we all have. It is something everyone does and if they say they neverdome it, tthey're lying
Having said that, it does seem like your dad cares. But he also doesn't want to be crossed. Underneath he does seem to care.you have a few options and one of them is to plainly have a talk with him. You don't have to though.
What does your gram think about all this? Is she less...strict?

Closed Thread