TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Tattoo...but parents. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t136337-tattoo-but-parents/)

Karol February 14th 2015 03:00 AM

Tattoo...but parents.

So my best friend just got a tattoo on her wrist. I think it's beautiful and it made me admit to her that I've wanted one for a while. I want a butterfly that says "Survivor" because I want to get it when I stop cutting. Buuuut my parents would flip. They are very against tattoos. I really want one, but I don't want to risk their disapproval because I've already done that in so many areas. Any idea how to get them used to the idea without disowning me? I have a year before I can get it on my own...but still...

luckiicloverxx February 14th 2015 03:39 AM

Re: Tattoo...but parents.

Hey there,

I would recommend just talking to them about it. They have their reasons for being against tattoos, and hearing them out would make them see you as more responsible. Try and understand their objections to it (like how it's extremely permanent, how sometimes it's more difficult for people with tattoos to gain employment (in some situations)), and if you still want a tattoo, write out a letter to them that addresses all of that. That might work!

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything!

Kyra :)

Ambedo. February 14th 2015 05:23 AM

Do your parents know about your struggle with self harm? If they do, try talking to them about your reason for wanting this particular tattoo. Let them know that it would serve as a reminder of all you've been through and of the strength that you possess. Many people who are against tattoos are against the idea of marking your body permanently with something that is not meaningful. Your tattoo, however, would be incredibly meaningful to you. If your parents see that, they might be more accepting of it.

Karol February 14th 2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckiicloverxx (Post 1169692)
Hey there,

I would recommend just talking to them about it. They have their reasons for being against tattoos, and hearing them out would make them see you as more responsible. Try and understand their objections to it (like how it's extremely permanent, how sometimes it's more difficult for people with tattoos to gain employment (in some situations)), and if you still want a tattoo, write out a letter to them that addresses all of that. That might work!

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything!

Kyra :)

I did that a few days ago and there reasons are that it looks ugly when you're older and that the Bible says you're not allowed to. So basically looks and religious standpoints. :/ Really hard to argue with that.

Thank you, though! I'll see if I can write them a letter. ^.^

Karol February 14th 2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starburst. (Post 1169704)
Do your parents know about your struggle with self harm? If they do, try talking to them about your reason for wanting this particular tattoo. Let them know that it would serve as a reminder of all you've been through and of the strength that you possess. Many people who are against tattoos are against the idea of marking your body permanently with something that is not meaningful. Your tattoo, however, would be incredibly meaningful to you. If your parents see that, they might be more accepting of it.

My mom knows I struggle with self-harm, but my dad doesn't nor would he understand. Maybe next year I'll have enough guts to tell them why I want one. ^.^ Thank you so much. :)