TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Uccelina Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Avoiding Homelessness - February 20th 2015, 01:31 AM

Okay i'm stuck in quite the predicament. My dad has made it very clear that on my 18th birthday i will be legally forced out of the house. Ive come to terms on the fact that hes being a total ass and is basically pushing me out of his life. Whatever im over it.

The problem im facing is I can not find a job. I have been looking online every day for the past year and half and ive only managed to get one interview. I have checked and double checked with local stores and food chains and not a single one is hiring and im absolutely terrified because i only have 50$ to my name. There is no way I can support myself yet and I have no experience in living on my own.

My mother lives a city over and I cut ties with her due to her emotionally abusive boyfriend. I have a few friends that may be willing to have me stay with them for a short time but I hate the thought of being burdensome to them.

I really have no idea what to do here.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: Avoiding Homelessness - February 20th 2015, 04:39 AM

Hey there,

First off I just wanted to say I'm sorry you've been put in this difficult and stressful situation. I can offer you a few suggestions that might be useful.

Does the area you live in have a community centre of some sort? Many places will have some sort of community access centre that provides various support and resources to those in the area. Quite often they can provide support in terms of youth employment as well as housing help.

If you are in school right now, I would also suggest meeting with a school counsellor. They are there to help and are professionally trained to do so. They will know more resources tailored to you and your situation.

I would also research if there are any agencies in your area that work with youth, and see if any of them are geared towards youth who face situations like your own. For example, an agency that works with street-involved or at-risk youth that has a drop-in program might be a good resource for you to check out and talk with some of the workers there for support or advice.

In terms of your living situation, if you have friend's willing to let you stay for a little bit while you figure things out then that may be your best option. Try not to worry too much about being a burden. They wouldn't have offered to let you crash if it was too much trouble for them. We all need a little help from others sometimes. As a last resort, if you truly had nowhere to stay, I would suggest staying in a youth/women's/family shelter. This will give you somewhere safe to stay during the nights and they also usually provide services like counselling, finding affordable housing, finding a job, learning/improving life skills, etc.

I know facing all of this seems overwhelming and scary. But you definitely do not have to go through this alone. Don't be afraid to ask for help, especially from an adult who can guide you in making the right choices and can connect you to the right resources. I hope some of these suggestions can help you out and that things work out alright.

Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread