TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katherine

Question I want to wear makeup but I don't know how to ask. - August 10th 2015, 05:05 PM

My friends started wearing makeup and I would like to as well, but I have two problems, I don't know how to ask my mom and my sister doesn't like makeup so I am afraid she will make fun of me. Can anyone help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Theaweseomrguy Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: I want to wear makeup but I don't know how to ask. - August 10th 2015, 05:47 PM

I can see your problem and discomfort with asking to wear make up. I think you should try to explain to your mom that your friends are wearing make up so you want to wear it also. I think that may be the easiest way to go about asking.

Also about your sister not liking make up. She doesn't have to but she should respect your choice to wear it and she could just be having self image problems trying to figure out who she is exactly. If she does indeed make fun of you understand it isn't you its just her dealing with what's she is going through and try not to let it get you down.

Anyways I hope everything goes ok with asking your mom and if you ever need to talk know you can message me by clicking on either of these PM or VM or by going to my profile and clicking on send message.

I am not a female and I see that you said female advice preferred but figured I would just respond the best I can.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BubblyBabyBlue Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Storm

Re: I want to wear makeup but I don't know how to ask. - August 10th 2015, 07:45 PM

I remember when I was 14 and wanted to use makeup, although I had no idea how to apply it. If you want to wear makeup, I suggest having a talk with your mother explaining why you'd want to start wearing makeup. I don't think you should mention your friends, because your mother may think you're following your friends, jnstead of creating your own unique style. Maybe make a list on why you want to wear it.

As for your sister, you wearing makeup has nothing to do with her. I agree with Jake, if she decides to make fun of you for wearing makeup, she most likely has self image problems herself. Who knows, you may even influence her to want to try makeup!

Best wishes to you!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I want to wear makeup but I don't know how to ask. - August 10th 2015, 11:21 PM

Do you get an allowance and are you allowed to go out shopping alone? Because if your parents are not strict, you could go to Walmart or wherever and buy some make up. There are tons of magazines, blogs, and YouTube tutorials to guide you in the right makeup colours for your skin and how to apply it.

If your parents are the type to get pissed because you didn't ask for make up first, you could always ask your mom for permission and then go from there.

If your mom won't allow you to go shopping alone or you live in an area where you need a ride from her, then you can always casually bring up how you want a ride to the store and if you ask why you can just tell her it's for make up.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: I want to wear makeup but I don't know how to ask. - August 11th 2015, 06:42 AM

Hi, Katherine!

Bringing up the subject of make-up to your mom might feel a little difficult, awkward or both understandably! Honestly, I kind of agree with Stormy. She may think you're just following your friends, but that's why I think it'd be okay and make sense to her if you word it differently and make that very point. Like, "my friends have been wearing make-up and I'm not trying to copy my friends or anything but it's just gotten me curious on experimenting with make-up as well. I was wondering if it'd be okay for me to wear make-up and if you could give me some tips?" Or you could just approach her in that same polite way and simply mention you've been wanting to wear make-up lately and ask her if she'd mind. You can ask your friends for help or even search for make-up tutorials on YouTube but it might be a bonding experience having your mom teach you about it and show you tips and such, you know? I'm sure she'd love to help you out with it.

As for your sister, I'd hope she would respect your choice rather than make fun of you. If she does then you could let her know that you find it hurtful. Don't be afraid to speak up about your feelings. And like Stormy said, you may even influence her to wear make-up!

Wearing make-up is probably an exciting thing to try out and it is appealing. I understand that! Many girls explore that and it's perfectly fine. I just want to remind you that make-up or no make-up, I imagine you're naturally pretty no matter what and you don't need it to be pretty. Just a reminder in case you get into a habit of putting on make-up everyday and begin feeling insecure without it. However, I hope that when you do try it out that you have fun experimenting with all the different types and colors.

Best of luck in talking to your mom. Let us know how it goes for you!

Last edited by DeletedAccount11; August 11th 2015 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Grammar fixes.

Closed Thread