TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Irish Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Home schooling - August 27th 2015, 01:10 PM

I'm 14 and in the 9th grade,my mom home schools me and has since i began kindergarten.
But recently I've heard her talking about how she wants to get out and get a job,and stop sitting at home all day every day.
and i really want to go to public school for the same reason.
But i have difficulty talking to my mom,and i'm afraid to tell her i want to go to public school because I'm afraid it will hurt her feelings,and i think that's also why she doesn't want to go to work because she is afraid that it will hurt me.
So please how do i go about telling her?how can i keep from hurting her?
I just don't know what to do and i need help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Home schooling - August 27th 2015, 01:31 PM

Hello - I think you should simply be honest with her and explain why you wish to go to a public school. I don't think her feelings would be hurt and she may even be happy that you are taking her wish to go out and work into consideration. Best of luck.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Home schooling - August 28th 2015, 06:29 PM

Hey.

First of all, sounds like you and your mom already have a good, caring relationship based on the simple fact that by the sounds of it, both of you care and are taking each of your feelings into consideration. Which is why I think it would be a great idea if you were to pick a time when your mom is in a fairly good mood and has time to talk and sit down with her to discuss this with her.

I don't think it would hurt her feelings especially if you explain politely. You could say something along these lines: "I have both enjoyed and appreciated you home-schooling me but I would also really like having new experiences with public school and I was wondering if it would be okay for me to start going to school? You could start a new job that you've wanted and you being happy would make me happy. What do you think? Could we try this?"

Best of luck! Hope it goes well and that everything works out good for both you and your mom.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Irish Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Home schooling - August 28th 2015, 08:56 PM

Thank you guys for the very helpful and caring replies.
I have a very hard time opening up to people or even displaying emotions.
But i will try to talk to my mom.Thanks again

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Home schooling - August 28th 2015, 09:01 PM

No problem and by the way, welcome to TeenHelp!

Actually, pening up and showing emotions is something that a lot of people commonly struggle with so you aren't alone and I'm sure many can relate to you. If you can talk to your mom verbally then it might be good so that you can ease out of your comfort zone a little and become more comfortable with talking about your feelings, but if you can't then it's understandable. You could write down what you want to say to her in a note and leave the note where she will see it so it will be easier for you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Home schooling - August 31st 2015, 05:48 PM

Hi there,

It sounds to me like you and your mum are in very similar situations and I think you both need to sit down and talk to each other properly because I think you want to go into a public school which I think could be beneficial for you and I think your mum wants to get back to work which could be beneficial for her. Maybe when its a quiet time of day for you both, you could ask her to sit down and tell her you want to talk to her and gently explain how you feel about the situation. And maybe, just maybe you'll find out she feels the same way you know? I know it's hard communicating but she's your mum. Its what she there for and I am sure she will understand and possibly even be happy with what you have to say and that she will be glad you have gone to her about the problem. Its what mums are there for!

I wish you all the best,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Irish Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Home schooling - September 2nd 2015, 07:13 AM

Thank you very much Jessie for the kind and thoughtful reply.
Everyone here has been so helpful and so kind and I'm very grateful.
I've decided to wait until the end of the school year then talk to my mom.I think its best that way since the tuition is already paid and it will be much easier that way.
Again you all so much for the kindness.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Irish Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Home schooling - September 2nd 2015, 07:13 AM

Thank you very much Jessie for the kind and thoughtful reply.
Everyone here has been so helpful and so kind and I'm very grateful.
I've decided to wait until the end of the school year then talk to my mom.I think its best that way since the tuition is already paid and it will be much easier that way.
Again thank you all so much for the kindness.

Closed Thread