TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Unhappy I have no idea what to do now. - October 18th 2015, 06:27 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

As I've posted before, I've been having some family issues. I have an older sister who is putting her children in harms way. I've contacted the authorities, more than once, and so far no legal action has taken place. This is still weighing heavily on my heart, because I know for a fact that she is unable to 'straighten' up and do what she needs to do for her children.

I've considered contacting the proper authorities again. I'm just wondering if this is the right thing to do? Should I continue trying to get this situation taken seriously? I'm very worried for the well being of these children, and the fact that she is pregnant with another one makes me very uneasy. She is not fit to be a guardian to any of these children, including the unborn one. I'm not sure what I should do at this point.

I've spoken to my husband about it, and he believes that I'm doing the right thing here, but am I? What if I report her again, and nothing comes of it? Can I be charged for reporting her too much or something? At this point, I'm just worried, and I want to do everything I can to make sure that these children get the help they need, and the love they deserve.

Sorry for talking about this so much, I just truly cannot express to you how bad of a living situation this is for these children, and they are just stuck there, because no one will stand up for them.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: I have no idea what to do now. - October 19th 2015, 04:56 AM

Hey Ade,

It absolutely breaks my heart to hear that your nieces and/or nephews are living in unsuitable conditions. I definitely think you're doing the right thing by attempting to contact the authorities! When a child's life is in danger, appropriate actions need to be taken. If the authorities are refusing to listen to you, keep reaching out. I'm not sure if there is any sort of consequence for reporting something too much in your country, but I honestly really doubt it.

I can only imagine how difficult it is for you to watch your nieces/nephews struggle and have to report your sister because of it. You're incredibly strong for doing so! If you ever want to talk about anything, feel free to PM me.

Take care!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
David Armes Offline
Average Joe

Name: David Armes

Re: I have no idea what to do now. - October 19th 2015, 08:40 AM

Hi,

Please please don't worry. You are doing the right thing and you should know that. If you feel like further action is required then get the courts involved as they know what is right. Stay as strong as you can because that will make you feel better.

If you feel children are at risk then call childline perhaps?

Best Wishes

David

David Armes

always happy to help

keep positive

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I have no idea what to do now. - October 19th 2015, 08:18 PM

Thanks guys. This makes me feel better.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#5 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I have no idea what to do now. - November 1st 2015, 02:39 AM

No, you cannot get into trouble for reporting her too much. And I think that in order for the authorities to take notice, you need to make a nuisance of yourself. Try and speak to people on the phone, that way they cannot ignore you.

I think it's outrageous that nothing is being done about it when, in many other situations, safeguarding is a top priority (community childcare, emergency departments, etc.)

I really would encourage you to keep doing what you are doing. It would be awful if anything more serious happened to the children and you would probably be left with a lot of guilt, which is unfair as you are trying your hardest.

Is she having any antenatal care? Would her issues be something that a midwife might pick up on? They are required to report any safeguarding concerns. Or is it all hidden behind closed doors?

Be kind to yourself.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I have no idea what to do now. - November 1st 2015, 02:43 PM

She has told her OBGYN about the fact that she is detoxing off drugs, and he has sent her to a pain clinic to receive help so she doesn't lose the baby, but I'm unsure if anything is happening about that or not. I know that if I were a doctor I would pick up on the way she acts, but I've been around people on drugs my entire life.

I'm going to be calling again very soon. I'm going to wait a couple of days still yet since I've been so busy, I wouldn't be able to be here if someone came by to ask any questions, but I am going to report her again. There's no doubt about that.

Thanks for all the support guys.

Closed Thread