TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
amrcndt324 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Hard Times, But That's No Excuse... - May 15th 2009, 09:35 AM

Alright, so obviously times are hard right now and all, and my mom has been mega stressed. She has no one to talk to at all so I let her vent with me, I listen and do my best to give her advice and everything, help her along, encourage her, but she's recently found out that my dad has been doing nothing but steal her money, he's tapped into the bank account that had $2,000 in it for not only my education, but my younger sister's as well. My mom feels that she can't trust anyone anymore and to be honest my dad is acting like a child, I mean sure he means well, but there is no reason he should be throwing bread around the house, stealing from my mother, or eating without consent of the fact that he isn't the only person in the house. I want to help my mom out, but I really don't know how, she refuses to let me get a job because she wants me to live out my childhood. So instead I do my best to help her with the house work, washing dishes, vacuuming, making sure dirty laundry is near the washer and clean laundry is folded, ironed, and put away(I don't know how to work a washer...) I've even offered to learn how to operate the lawn mower to cut the grass for her(though that urks my dad to the point where he actually cuts the grass.)

I really have no idea how else I can help her out, I know encouragement and being there for her is good, as well as doing some chores, but I really want to help her more. She's really like a best friend to me. Any ideas?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Hard Times, But That's No Excuse... - May 15th 2009, 05:01 PM

I've been through the same thing with my mom (still sort of going through it, actually.) There are two things you need to remember: 1.) Be there for her, but 2.) remember you're the kid and she's the adult.

You're doing a great job by being helpful, and if she doesn't want you to get a job then don't. Try your best in school (assuming you're in school, I don't know your age,) and continue to do little thoughtful things around the house for her.

She needs support right now, but don't forget that moms tend to love seeing their children happy. So don't forget to take care of yourself either.

Take care
Private Message me if you want.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#3 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Hard Times, But That's No Excuse... - May 15th 2009, 05:10 PM

hey, hun, sorry that you're going through that kind of stress right now...
you're a great daughter really! and i know that your support means a lot to your mum right now. so continue to listen to her and all. don't put too much pressure on yourself to "fix" things though... i know you really love your mum but there're some things that can only be resolved by the root cause...
is there anyway you can talk to your father about all this? confront him about it and tell him that you respect him but that it doesn't give him to right to do all the things he's doing now.
do you have any relatives who can probably help talk sense into your dad as well?

and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

Closed Thread