TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stephe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephe

My friends left me - March 25th 2016, 12:48 AM

Hey, I made a thread like this but I felt it wasn't accurate.

So, I have been friends with most of my friends for over 7 years, some even 10. About a year ago they started giving me the cold shoulder. I feel like the "leader" of the group, who was my friend for 9 years, doesn't like me because I don't give in to what they like. They love soccer, and I prefer to do more personal sports like Cross Country. I don't know if we are splitting because of our differences, but I feel if they were truly friends, they'd still accept me even though I'm different. I get really annoyed because I know I can't change my friends and they are changing for the worst. They act wild and have started to cheat on assignments. I have started to feel depressed because I was the person who introduced them, yet they think they can turn me away. I guess this may be for the better, they have really started to hurt me emotionally. They have started stealing our ball at break and never include me in conversations. I really hate it when people can't make their own decisions and rely on others. We used to be really close, we used to go see movies or sleep over every weekend. The last time I have been to one of their houses was 15 months ago. At lunch I may be the first one eating and they never sit by me, always at a different table. They really hurt me deeply a few days ago, I think they are homophobic. I am gay and happy, but they started yelling "Hey Fag" to each other so they turn around and they laugh. I told one of them I was gay a few years ago and he accept me, but now he turns around and says that horrible word right in front of me! He makes me sick! I do have one friend to whom I can tell this saga that broke my heart. I am not like the normal teenager, I don't really get manipulated and peer pressure doesn't affect me. I never change my opinion due to the general agreement. I think others have experienced this, I hope someone can understand this.

Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My friends left me - March 26th 2016, 09:08 PM

I'm sorry to hear about this, you deserve better friends.

I don't think you're separating because of your differences. A lot of friendships have plenty of differences and I look at them as a good thing. If people were too much alike, it would be boring. It seems to me like you and your friends are separating because you're a little more mature than your friends and it's possible that they don't know how to handle that. As great as many friendships are, a lot of them slowly end and I know that is painful but it is all a part of getting older. When one door closes, another one opens. Old friends drift apart so you can make new ones; so you can continue to grow as a person.

Unfortunately, you can't control your friends. You can only control yourself. I think the best thing to focus on right now is yourself. Maybe you can get into some things that you've avoided in the past because of your friends. Look into running, or do some research on how to start or improve your running. Do what makes you happy, regardless of what your friends think. With the way they're acting, you're better off without them.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread