TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Telling your parents (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t145113-telling-your-parents/)

max05896 May 9th 2016 05:28 AM

Telling your parents

I would just like to explain a little bit about my problem and about how I built up the courage to tell a parent. I think this may help someone else who is struggling to tell a parent about their depression.

So I was diagnosed with depression at a young age maybe 8 years old I don't remember to much about back then I'm not even sure if I truly had depression but that is just what I was diagnosed with. But now I am 17 years old I graduate high school this month and I currently have ADD and am taking adderal which helps tremendously for school.

But here's why I believe I have depression. I can not have a full conversation with my parents or brother. It's always just yes or no.I don't talk much during school. I don't really have any friends nobody try's to contact me to hangout with them which I believe is another cause to it . I will sometimes think about how nobody cares about me and how my life sucks and I'll just start crying.

But finally I got the courage to tell my parents I need help. My mom was sitting on the couch watching tv and I went and sat down by her for a bit and i said hey I think we should go see the doctor because I don't think it's right how I barely talk and I'm Always so dull. (I was going to say how I wasn't happy but she took the words out of my mouth). She said yea I think you might be a little depressed. I said yea maybe . She totally agreed we should go.

I was just really happy I got the courage to do this and I really wanted to share it. But it is really not that hard to tell your parents these things trust me !

Palmolive May 9th 2016 06:19 AM

Re: Telling your parents

Hello! :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am also very glad you built up the courage to get help and I do hope it is helping. Remember if you're ever struggling then we're always here for you too. In the meantime I hope things keep goin onwards and upwards for you! :D

TheAtomicBlade May 9th 2016 07:18 AM

Hey mate,
I'm so glad you managed to tell your parents and are going to the doc.
I told my parents too, and we went to a doc, and i'm on anxiety pills. But I'm so glad things are getting better for you. If you need to talk for any reason, PM me.

DeletedAccount30 May 9th 2016 09:52 AM

Hey! :hug:

It's great that you mustered up the courage to talk to your parents about this and I'm glad things went well for you! :hug: Thank you so much for sharing this with us, it's very kind of you to want to encourage others to open up to their parents too. :) I'm sure this will help anyone who's having second thoughts about it. Again, thank you for sharing!

Remember that we're always here for you too! Don't hesitate to reach out to any of us if you need anything. :hug: Personally, I love when a new notification is waiting for me when I log in. Brightens my day, to be honest. :hehe:

Take care! :hug:
Love. - xx

Green Yoshi May 9th 2016 01:36 PM

Sup :hug:

I'm so proud of you.. you managed to tell your parents about your feelings, and the fact that you're about to improve really quickly means that its the right step :) You're an inspiration and I hope that the rest of us will derive some positive encouragement from your post!

Perhaps its also better if you tried to mingle and mix around. There's nothing in your way.. think positive, take a chance and you'll definitely be surrounded by many bosom friends who will care about you. The key is to put yourself in situations where other people can get to know you for the awesome person you are!