TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Destruction of property? - May 10th 2016, 08:17 PM

My room mate's neglected cat peed all over my mattress, expensive sheets, pillows, and $200+ comforter. Cat pee is nearly impossible to get out. I want my stuff replaced, but she is not willing to help at all with any cleaning process or anything. Can I sue her for destruction of property. Can I do anything? It also peed all over my other room mate's couches and wants those replaced too. If we combine damage, it is easily over $1000 in damage... How do I even start this process, is it even worth it?

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Destruction of property? - May 11th 2016, 10:56 PM

I don't really know much at all about court or legal things, so I can't be much help in that regard.

However, I think it might help if you take a step back and think about things for a little while. You're upset and that's completely understandable but sometimes it helps to "sleep on it." If you're thinking about court I suggest doing some research and taking pictures of the items the cat has peed on. Any receipts or listings of the items you have can be helpful too, as they have the price there.

You said the cat is neglected. How so? Does it not have enough food or attention? Do you think it has anxiety? How's its litter box look? Is it hooded, or open? Is it in a quiet place? Is it cleaned enough? Cat boxes should be scooped once a day, or twice a day if there's more than one cat. It's possible the cat has a urinary tract infection too. Maybe you can encourage your roommate to take better care of her cat or you can help with the care. Remember you're not obligated to, though, because the cat isn't yours. Sometimes cats will pee on things when they're anxious and in that case, there are calming collars and sprays that could be worth looking into. My cat used to get anxious and pee in the laundry and we'd have to wash everything. If you're lucky enough to get to your items before the cat pee dries, you should be able to rinse it out but you're right in that it's nearly impossible to clean.

Do you have a way of isolating the cat or keeping it out of your room? If you have the extra room, you could keep the cat and its things confined so it stays away from other areas.

Are you and your other roommate in a position to ask this roommate to leave? You could first ask them to take care of their cat, and if they don't, maybe you can encourage them to give their cat to someone who can provide for it. But, if you have the funds to cover this person's rent for a while when you're looking for someone else, it might be worth considering.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Destruction of property? - May 12th 2016, 02:50 AM

If you are in the position to ask your roommate to leave you might want to do that. If she won't take responsibility for the mess her cat is making then you and your other roommate shouldn't have to accommodate her needs.

There is probably a reason that the cat is doing this such as the litter box not being cleaned or in a good place. Or, she is lonely and acting out. If you could maybe giving her some attention would help the issue. However, this is not your responsibility and as Cassado suggested maybe you could talk to your roommate about giving her cat to someone that can take care of it.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread