TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation I just don't feel normal... - May 18th 2009, 02:21 AM

Hello everyone! I'm new here so bear with me. Um, I'm not sure if this is the exact category to put this in, but oh well.

I'm fourteen and I have several close friends whom I care about very much. My family is just as loving, if not more, and very supportive. I love them deeply but lately, I've not been feeling like myself at all.

Although I keep in contact with my friends and family, I don't feel like being around them; I'd rather be by myself. I complain about never going out with my friends, but when the opportunity arises, I refuse. It's like I want to be social but a little voice in he back of my head says no.

One thing that really bothers me is that I'll ignore people walking down the hall. ( I have even avoided calling my girlfriend...) I don't want to, but again, there's that little voice saying, "ignore them!" I kick myself in the butt because of it and I'm sure I've hurt people.

I used to be extremely happy, but now it seems I'm emotionally blank. The only emotion I do feel (if ever) is loneliness or deep sadness. I swear I can feel lonely in New York!!!

The voice in my head keeps saying I'm worthless and I'm just an invisible person only meant for the use of others. It tells me to be isolated and forget all the people around me. I try to fight it but it's gotten to the point where it's even swaying my belief in God.

Please help???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I just don't feel normal... - May 18th 2009, 02:29 AM

Well first of all I'd like to say welcome to TH! My name's Dylan and I think it's awesome that you've decided to reach out for help! I hope it works out for you.

On to the issue you mentioned, I am definately not a doctor, nor am I capable of diagnosing conditions, but from what you described it may be some kind of depression. If you are really concerned about this I would say consult a doctor, they will have more tests and knowledge to actually diagnose you.

For now my best advise is to try your best to keep up with your friends and the social side of your life, because I find for people in your position, pushing yourself to get out tends to help, excersize overall is a good choice, because it makes you feel good about yourself.

Whatever you decide to you, you can always PM me anytime if you need anymore help! Good luck

xDylan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I just don't feel normal... - May 18th 2009, 02:36 AM

Yes, it seems so. My family has a history of it ( go me...). It used to only come during the winter months. (Seasonal depression, you know.) But now it's gotten gradually worse and has prolonged it's stay. Then there's that little voice that came along... Very disturbing if you ask me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I dare you.
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: I just don't feel normal... - May 18th 2009, 02:40 AM

Hey there, I'm Jessica, welcome to TH! (:

I went through a similar thing at fourteen, and I don't think it's depression. Sounds a lot like "teen girl pueberty."

There's more to it than Aunt Flo and filling out dresses, and the physical and emotion changes happen at different times. It's just hormones, or it sounds that way to me.

Now, lonliness and depression are a side-effect of emotional changes, but it WILL all get better.

Hang in there. <3

- Jess.

;Jessica.
Baby, there's no gettin' over you.

Take my heart as you head for the door;
I won't be needing it anymore.

Softball:
Because when it comes to balls, bigger is better.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: I just don't feel normal... - May 18th 2009, 03:31 AM

Hey there, it's good to see you on the forums. If you have any questions or aren't sure where a topic goes, just send me a message and I'd be happy to help you

I think what you need to do is give that little voice a good kick in the butt and force yourself to hang out with your friends. No matter what, don't let yourself pull away from your friends when you are given opportunities to hang out. There are times when it's okay to decline and times where it gets to the point when you are pushing your friends away. Your friends care about you and like spending time with you. You need to learn to put that before the little voice.

I think it's good that you like spending time by yourself, but that doesn't mean you need to be alone all the time. Find time out of your day just for being social, and other times when you can hang out by yourself. Make an effort to get out a bit and talk to people.

Instead of ignoring people in the halls, try waving or saying 'hi' back. An even better idea would be to initiate the greeting yourself. Try being the one to say hi to someone or wave, or to invite people to hang out with you. It doesn't always need to be that your friends are the ones trying to get you to spend time with them.

I think it would also be a good idea if you talked to a guidance counselor at school about this. You can't let this voice take away your opportunities for healthy relationships. Learn to control it and get rid of it. Like I said, there are times you can spend by yourself- just don't make it all the time!

Take care.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread