TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,158, Level: 9 Points: 4,158, Level: 9 Points: 4,158, Level: 9

Sick of my parents - June 11th 2016, 08:45 PM

So...today I wasn't feeling well and I overslept through an appointment and my dad got angry. It was my mistake, but he started off by calling me the usual "stupid", "idiot", "when are you going to be a man" and other harsh words. Then when I was about to plead my case, he got angry and told me to shut up. This is basically the exact same for my mom except she will randomly get angry at everyone whether they've done something or not.

My dad is unreasonable, has an old way of thinking and always acts based on assumptions.

Since I'm in Grade 12, my dad basically expects me to go to university next year. The school year is almost over btw. I don't want to go NEXT year but I want to go after. I do have solid plans for next year but I know he'll have none of it.

What should I do? Just forget what I want and go to university next year or "become a man" and tell him what I want to do.

I'm getting really sick of having to take his crap and not have the chance to explain myself. I just want to burst out and tell him "I'M GONNA DO WHAT I WANT! NOT WHAT YOU WANT. IT'S MY GODDAMN FUTURE". I've been fearing the day that I tell him my goals, for approximately 9 months now. It's been causing me stress since about October and I'm really done with caring what he thinks.

Sorry for the long wall of text.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Sick of my parents - June 11th 2016, 11:27 PM

Hey there and welcome I'm sorry your parents are giving you a hard time. You're right, it's your life and your future so if you have solid plans you should do what you want. Don't go to university just because your dad says you have to or to avoid a confrontation. But be prepared for what they may do if you don't go(for example they may ask you to move out, pay rent, etc.) Once you're 18 (not sure how far off that is) there's really nothing they can do. You also don't really need to defend yourself or your decisions, even to your own parents, especially if they don't seem to care what they are.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread