TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
anonymouskat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy i think my dad's bipolar - April 2nd 2017, 11:21 PM

well i cant make any presumptions but my dad has been really pissing me off. Im 16 and i love both my parents. but sometimes my dad can really piss me off but he can be nice. however over the past year hes completely changed. he's always obsessed with my academic progress. he's really strict when it comes to schooling and always pushes me to get straight A*'s. since my gcses are coming up i think hes starting to freak out a bit and hes really started acting like a di*k to me. My dad is not abusive however in the past he has hit me a couple times. however this was a few years ago and last week he hit me for the first time in a very long time. dont get me wrong, i love my dad and i know he hes just worried about my exams but this has really shocked me since like 2 seconds before he hit me we were literally laughing and joking. then suddenly he started screaming at me saying how i should be revising (even though it was like 11pm) and i was like, woah! whats with the sudden mood change haha then he just hit me... i was so shocked. i was crying for a long time and he just kept shouting at me. i walked off and he came after me and grabbed my arm and kept screaming at my ear. i havent spoken to him for a week now. i really dont know what to do. he's always having these random sudden mood swings. they arent even subtle. one minute hes genuinely laughing and then the next thng i know is hes shouting and screaming and i get really scared of him. hes so unpredictable and it really is starting to piss me off. someone please tell me what to do. ive spoken to my mum about this but she always takes his side. shes always saying we're ur parents and we're doing whats best for u bla bla. please dont say that i should have an 'honest chat' with him and tell him how i 'really feel' because he will probably straight up slap me in the face. By the way my dad is egyptian so he's pretty strict. he probably doesn't have bipolar but im pretty sure he has some kind of mental illness as he is acting a lot differently to how he used to. he gets angry sooo quickly.
any help will be appreciated .

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Hello, autumn.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: i think my dad's bipolar - April 3rd 2017, 12:07 AM

Welcome to TeenHelp.

None of us are professionals, so we can't diagnose your dad. However, from what I understand, bipolar mood swings aren't as sudden as what your dad is experiencing. Bipolar related mood swings tend to be a little slower and last a little longer. Sudden mood swings can be caused be a variety of things, such as past trauma or a recent conflict.

Regardless of what your dad is experiencing, it is having an impact on you and that is important. You said you've talked to your mom and everything, so I won't suggest that. But, have you told her that your dad has hit you recently? If you haven't told her that, it's something to consider.

Have you noticed any patterns with his mood swings? Does anything occur beforehand that could possibly trigger him? Maybe you can keep an eye out on things. If you can find any particular triggers, you can find ways to avoid them and hopefully ease your dad's mood swings. Perhaps they're related to your schooling and they will decrease over time.

Something that may help for a little while is avoiding him when you can. If he helps you a lot with your schoolwork, maybe you can ask your mom for some extra help in his place.

Do try to cope with your feelings about this because keeping them inside is unhealthy. Do you do anything to cope with your anger? You could take a walk, punch a pillow, or listen to music, to name a few ideas. You can also blog or journal about your feelings.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Autumn is a second spring where every leaf is a flower.
Autumn nurtures my soul.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread