TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Asking parents for financial support? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t151741-asking-parents-financial-support/)

Elle_94 June 13th 2017 09:27 AM

Asking parents for financial support?

Hi guys,

So lately I've been struggling a bit with money. I have a job and I work as often as I can, but I'm a student so I can't manage full time work at the moment. I get paid minimum wage and as I'm only 19 that's around £5.50 per hour - it's not a lot. I get some student finance but it's not a lot at all either. I'm so stressed and worried and I really need some help. I've been thinking about asking my parents for a bit of support. Im not going to ask for much from them, just the bare minimum I'd need to borrow to manage. Do you think it's okay to ask them for help? Will they be angry? How can I start the conversation with them?

Thanks in advance
Elle

DeletedAccount24 June 13th 2017 06:20 PM

Re: Asking parents for financial support?

Hey, I don't know how the relationship between you and your parents is but I don't think it could hurt to ask them for advice and support. They may encourage you to do things for yourself, but I'm sure they'll still have your back through everything. They'll probably be more upset if you struggle, fail, and then go to them because they will have felt like they could have helped you during all that time. I know that's what my parents would be like, anyways. As I said, the relationship you have with your parents might be different and I don't know anything about it. :)

Ambedo. June 13th 2017 08:27 PM

Hey Elle,

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking your parents for a bit of financial support. While it might feel like an uncomfortable conversation, remember that they were your age once too! I'm sure they remember the struggle of balancing school with a minimum wage job.

If you're nervous about asking them, perhaps you could come up with a game plan beforehand about how you plan on paying them back. You could also let them know that you're willing to do a little extra work around the house in exchange for the support if you think that might help the situation. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help you out, especially if you show them that you want to handle it like an adult.

Take care,
Sammi

DeletedAccount69 June 13th 2017 09:44 PM

A lot of people are able to get support from their parents while they are going through school. Some parents do refuse to help their children though and that is something you will have to risk by asking. However, if you have a relatively decent relationship with your parents I don't think they will refuse to help you. And, honestly, if you need the help they should be the ones to help you, you know? You are doing what you can to support yourself and working and going to school is not an easy feat (even if you are only working part time).

Confiding in your parents about your struggles might be helpful because they might be able to make some suggestions as well. At one point, they were probably struggling college students who needed help and there might be some things that they learned back then that could end up helping you.

I think that if you do decide to talk to your parents about this you should definitely do so at a time when they are not super stressed out. Maybe ask them if you could get together some weekend and go from there.

Best of luck.