TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bianca_Mae Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bianca

Unhappy I feel guilty - June 17th 2017, 02:30 AM

I'm sorry if this seems like I am wasting you're time, I know people are in worse situations than I am in.

But today in school, my friend M git really offended by the fact that I have other friends. The truth is that I have been trying to get away from my current group of friends, it is seriously bad for my health, since they've been the reasoning for my self harm in many occasions.

My friend C, has known about my self harm for months and he was talking to me this morning in school, after a vague text saying, 'I'm sorry, I tried' and he came over to see what was wrong. My friends M was there and I told him not to ask, since they aren't aware of my self harm habits. Three periods later, he asked me what this morning was about, he said he feels like I am drifting away from them and keeping secrets with my new friends. I know I shouldn't feel guilty because its really none of his business, but at the same time, i do. But I can't stay close to them if they make me harm myself, but at the same time, he's the only one in my friend group I'm scared of losing. I don't know what to do...

~Bianca

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I feel guilty - June 17th 2017, 01:02 PM

You're not wasting anyone's time. It's hard but try not to compare yourself to others; you can't get a fair comparison to other people and comparing yourself could be damaging.

If this group of friends is triggering to you it is good that you are trying to distance yourself from them. Did you say that M is the friend you don't want to lose from this group? If so, maybe you could pull him aside and let him know that you're going through some things (you don't have to elaborate).

If you don't want to lose M, you could let him know that new friendships don't replace what the two of you have and that even though you may be distant from everyone else, you still want to remain friends with him.

You said you asked M not to ask because he doesn't know about the self-harm. You didn't omit anything with malicious intent; you did it to protect yourself. Sometimes you have to omit things to protect yourself but that doesn't warrant guilt.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread