TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sage

Unhappy Internet Friends. - July 17th 2017, 07:02 PM

How do I deal with my parents not approving me talking to the people on the internet? My mom is alright with it but she doesn't really approve and is constantly shaming me for talking to people. While my dad is just a flat NO to it.
Im friends with about 3 people who are honestly the best people ive ever met. They are always there for me. How do I deal with this? They pulled me out of a horrible state I was in and if I can't talk to them its just going to be a downward spiral. ):

(#2 (permalink)) Old
let'sjusttalk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Internet Friends. - July 17th 2017, 10:03 PM

Hey! You either continue to convince your parents to let you speak to them without shame especially if they make you happy or you talk to them anyway. It is your life you can do what you like with it but just remember to be safe. For example, if one of your friends asks for nudes or to meet up just make sure you are mature about it and don't send them and take your parents to meet your friends (if you haven't met them before.) At the end of the day just remember all any parent wants is for their kid to be happy and most importantly safe. Good luck x

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Internet Friends. - July 18th 2017, 02:03 AM

Is there any particular reason why your parents don't want you speaking to people online? I mean, when a person is given access to the internet it's guaranteed they'll end up interacting with others also using it, so there must be a particular reason why they don't want you talking to people.

I know when I was young and was allowed access to the internet, though my family didn't really disapprove of me interacting with others online, they didn't really approve either. I never talked about my internet activity with them because they always wanted to know my business and would likely check my browsing history since I was too young to even know what it was or what it did. Personally, if you're that adamant in wanting to talk to your friends online, your parents can air their disapproval all they want but one way or another you'll end up finding a way around the problem whether they like it or not, so they should support you in the matter whilst simply reminding you of the dangers the online world has.

Like you I've met so many great people online, in fact my very best friend is an online friend whom I've known since I was 17. He was really understanding of my situations, especially the fact we had a silly house role of no internet after 10 PM for whatever reason. If you haven't already, I'd suggest talking to your online friends as well, let them know what's going on and see if they too can provide any advice? Maybe your parents could speak with your friends and get to know them, that way if their reason for disapproval is your internet safety, getting to know your friends and knowing they have no intention of harming you may help alleviate their concerns.

Life is for living, not for losing.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sage

Re: Internet Friends. - July 18th 2017, 04:19 AM

Thank you guys! I just talked to my mom about it and yet to talk to my dad. My mom says if it makes me happy, then yes. She told me her main concern was because when my older sister was my age, she thought she was talking to Justin Bieber but really an old man. (irdk how she would believe that lol) She even told me she used to chat online when she was younger, and even met some of them! (i have hope!!!)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Internet Friends. - July 19th 2017, 03:20 PM

That's really good to hear! Fingers crossed that your dad will be just as supportive!

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Internet Friends. - July 25th 2017, 07:35 PM

I hope the talk with your parents have gone well. I can see where your mom is coming from with being concerned for your safety. Like your sister, I thought I was talking to someone famous online during my preteen years but it turns out they weren't. Perhaps, if you are close enough to these people you know online, drop random tidbits about them to your family, so they will eventually come to realize these people are legitimate and are who they say they are.

I'm 32 and my parents are still wary of online relationships and even go as far to say "they're not your real friends" and 99.98% are probably no more than acquaintances, but the one I am close to and consider a true friend I mention every so often. I don't know, it's just something to connect the online friend to my real world.

Closed Thread