TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
raynab Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rayna

No one my age shares my interests - December 1st 2017, 02:17 AM

So I really love politics and debate. I haven't met a single teen that enjoys this, conservative or liberal. It's hard for me to find friends because relationships are always one sided, as I only talk about what the other person wants to talk about because everyone shuts down when I mention politics. Are there any clubs I could join or places I could go so I can have intelligent debates with people my own age?

Last edited by Narrative.; December 1st 2017 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Moving to a more specific forum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Orenda. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam

Re: No one my age shares my interests - December 2nd 2017, 09:27 PM

Hey there,

I know firsthand how difficult it can be to make two-way friendships when your interests are different than what is considered "normal" for teenagers. When I was in high school, I had a really hard time finding people who shared my same love of books and ended up engaging in one-sided conversations very similar to what you mentioned while keeping my own interests to myself.

Doing some research about clubs in your area could be extremely beneficial. Perhaps you could join a local debate team if your school doesn't have one. You could also look for groups that get involved in current events, such as those that focus on reaching out to representatives regarding important issues. If you're not able to find anything that suits your needs, you could even consider starting one yourself! If that's something that you might be interested in, you can consider visiting your school office to find out how to start a club on campus or reach out to others in your community by posting fliers in public places, such as the library or a community bulletin board.

While it might seem impossible to find friends that share your interests, I promise there are others out there within your age range that share similar interests in politics and debate! Sometimes it just takes a little more digging.

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Paroxysm Offline
hug your cat right meow

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: No one my age shares my interests - December 3rd 2017, 01:37 PM

Maybe you could join a debate team at your school?

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SugaCube Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ren

Re: No one my age shares my interests - December 4th 2017, 11:12 PM

I love political debates. I consider myself slightly conservative, perhaps we could have some interesting conversations. People at my school don't even know what liberal/conservative mean. Feel free to message me if you want to get into a debate.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: No one my age shares my interests - December 7th 2017, 11:30 AM

Hello!

Perhaps it might be good to join clubs like chess or something... those clubs are usually full of people who like to talk bout the bigger picture, and some of those people might end up sharing your interests. Besides that, it might also be a good idea to branch out- the more interests you have, the bigger your chances of meeting people who share your passion.

Best of luck and remember that everyone deserves love and companionship.

Much kindness and warmth,
Darren

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
~Abibliophobe~ Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: No one my age shares my interests - December 7th 2017, 02:38 PM

Hey there,

I agree that you might enjoy being on some type of debate team if your school does something like that. I know that a fair amount of the people I hung out with during high school were on debate teams and did things like the academic decathlon. I found that a lot of the friend's I had were a lot more open to discussing these types of topics. There might be other clubs at your school that you could get involved in as well. I know, my school had a Model United Nations and I know a lot of people who really enjoyed it and found it to be engaging.

That being said, it's possible that people are hesitant to talk about politics because it can cause a lot of tension. I know, personally, I hate discussing politics because it is a trigger and because I have different views than a lot of my friend's and I don't want to argue with them.

One thing to remember, too, is that it can take time to find friend's who share some of your same interests. I know, it took me till high school to find friend's who shared similar interests.

Best regards.

Do you love books or are you having trouble finding books to read? Come check out my blog where I will discuss all things books:
https://abibliophobe1989.wordpress.com/blog/
If you like what you see please follow!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Re: No one my age shares my interests - December 9th 2017, 03:47 PM

Hey there!

I'm interested in debating as well, and at my school they give debating lessons and courses that you can follow in your free time. Perhaps you can join another club in your town, or maybe there's an online community?

Perhaps you could participate in a contest as well, I guess it all depends on where you live.

If you ever want to debate or talk about politics you could PM me as well, I'm decently versed in recent politics because it's part of our curriculum.

So come on: Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack Flash sat upon a candlestick

-Don McLean