TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
London1621 Offline
No worries
Regular TeenHelper

Name: London

Some help please. - December 30th 2017, 05:48 PM

I asked my parents for Christmas if I could have a guitar and learn how to play. They said yes and I did get one. My dad is really good at playing, when he's teaching me he's not nice and yells at me when I don't get it right away. I start crying and get upset and he just yells more and my mom or sister try to tell him to be nice when he's teaching me and he then he leaves the room because he's angry. I just want to have fun and learn how to play and not get yelled at. I'm not sure what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Creator of my own world...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Some help please. - December 30th 2017, 07:15 PM

Hi London, I had this problem with my dad, only him teaching me how to drive. The best thing I think you can do is to sit down and talk to him and tell him how you feel when he yells at you like he does when teaching you. If, after your talk, he continues his behavior you may be better off getting a reputable stranger or someone else to teach you. My dad continued to yell at me repeatedly after talking to him numerous times so finally I had someone else teach me to drive, my Grandma. And the drivers ed guy was helpful too. I had no issues whatsoever after having someone else teach me and learned a lot better and had a lot less stress on me. it’ll get better.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Some help please. - December 30th 2017, 07:25 PM

Hey,

I am so sorry you are dealing with that. I know it can be difficult to learn something new and to have a teacher who isn't kind can make it all a bit more difficult. I agree that it might be helpful to sit down with your dad at a time when he is calm and discuss this with him. It's possible that he is dealing with a lot of stress right now and so it is impacting his ability to teach. If you two discuss this you might be able to come up with a solution. For example, if he is dealing with stress it might help to wait a few months to have him teach you so that he can get through the stressful situation.

One other thing I would like to suggest is that you look up youtube videos. I've talked to people who have been able to learn a fair bit about playing a guitar from the videos. I do not know if this will work for you but it might be something to consider at least until you can figure out how to deal with your dad's difficulties in teaching you.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
London1621 Offline
No worries
Regular TeenHelper

Name: London

Re: Some help please. - December 31st 2017, 03:10 AM

Thank you so much for your replays and kind words. I will try to talk with him when he's in a good mood, hopefully tomorrow and see what happens next. And if that doesn't work I will try what you are both saying. Thank you again.

Closed Thread