TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - May 28th 2009, 11:51 PM

Yeah so I was chillin here with my little sister and her friend is over, and I really don't like her that much but if I say anything, my mom will pull the old "I'm the mom" thing and then completely ignore anything else I say. So anyway they're just chillen and then something on the TV mentioned gay people or gay rights or something, and my sister's little friend pipes up, "Gays are stupid!"
SO OF COURSE I'M LIKE WTF. But it turns out, I found out from my younger sister Nicole, who babysits this little shit, her mom goes on about gay people and blah blah for some odd reason or whatever.
So of course, I don't really feel comfortable, ESPECIALLY NOW, with Shelby hanging out with this little bitchbag. But now god forbid something about gays comes up again and then she starts telling my littlest sister that gay people are stupid...jesus christ. I'm going to freak. Her mom is totally entitled to whatever she wants to think, but fucking hell if I'm gunna sit back and let her talk anti-gay junk to my sister.

How should I deal with this?

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - May 28th 2009, 11:59 PM

Hi there,

I know it's difficult to deal with this, but try to understand that your sister's friend probably doesn't understand what she's saying, how it affects others, and how wrong her mom's statements are. It's always sad when parents push their negative views on their children, but it's a child's nature to believe their parents.

The best thing to do right now would be to educate your sister and make sure she doesn't pay any attention to this girl's mother or the mean things she says. You can't stop the friend's mother from talking, but maybe if it comes up and she does say those things to your sister then you and your mom could have a good long talk with her. It may be a good idea, if the mother goes on about those views, to keep your sister away from that friend's house. They could always hang out at your house or at the park or something.

Good luck.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Beth. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - May 29th 2009, 12:33 AM

Nat is so right. Little kids opinions are mostly just their parents opinions because it rubs off on them. Just brush it off, she's only a child anyway. Not like you can really try and talk sense into a little girl.
~Beth

When all your friends have come and gone,
And the sun no longer shines,
And the happiness for which you long is washed away like an ocean's tide,
When all the hard times outweigh the good,
And all your words are misunderstood,
When the day seems lost from the start
You must follow your heart,
You must follow your heart.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Angilea. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lea

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - May 29th 2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Hi there,

I know it's difficult to deal with this, but try to understand that your sister's friend probably doesn't understand what she's saying, how it affects others, and how wrong her mom's statements are. It's always sad when parents push their negative views on their children, but it's a child's nature to believe their parents.
Hey Bernadette,

I agree with Nat there, i mean I could possibly go on
forever to that woman and get her to have some
kind of common sense and at the same time
you can't stop her from telling her child these
kinds of things, and yet what you can do
is educate your sister as why her
friend statements was inappropriate
and again what nat mentioned not pay
any attention from what the child is repeatedly hearing
from her mothers says and at this young age, the child
might not fully understands what is
coming out of her mouth so let us know
the updates and I wish you luck.

There is only one person who could ever
make you happy, and that person is you.

Send a message via MSN to Angilea.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - May 29th 2009, 02:29 AM

Yea I couldn't blame the child I would talk to the Mom about the situation.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
flawed_legacy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jason

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - May 29th 2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post
Yeah so I was chillin here with my little sister and her friend is over, and I really don't like her that much but if I say anything, my mom will pull the old "I'm the mom" thing and then completely ignore anything else I say. So anyway they're just chillen and then something on the TV mentioned gay people or gay rights or something, and my sister's little friend pipes up, "Gays are stupid!"
SO OF COURSE I'M LIKE WTF. But it turns out, I found out from my younger sister Nicole, who babysits this little shit, her mom goes on about gay people and blah blah for some odd reason or whatever.
So of course, I don't really feel comfortable, ESPECIALLY NOW, with Shelby hanging out with this little bitchbag. But now god forbid something about gays comes up again and then she starts telling my littlest sister that gay people are stupid...jesus christ. I'm going to freak. Her mom is totally entitled to whatever she wants to think, but fucking hell if I'm gunna sit back and let her talk anti-gay junk to my sister.

As a gay person myself, it frustrates me to hear people talk like that... Chances are that the little girl's mother has no clue about homosexuality at all. She's probably uneducated when it comes to homosexuality/bisexuality. Normally when people don't understand something they fear it or reject it (for me it's calculus!).

If I were in that situation, I'd definately have to say something to her the next time she began running off at the mouth. You could simply ask her "Why do you feel that way?" the next time she says something negative about homosexuals. That way you can "politely" get your foot in the door to expressing your opposing views. I doubt her's will change but you can always try.

If you are a nonconfrontional person, you can simply ignore it.

Unfortunatly the seven year old will most likely associate her mothers "teachings" with everyday life. She'll grow up and think "Gays are stupid"... It's sad really...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - May 29th 2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flawed_legacy View Post
As a gay person myself, it frustrates me to hear people talk like that... Chances are that the little girl's mother has no clue about homosexuality at all. She's probably uneducated when it comes to homosexuality/bisexuality. Normally when people don't understand something they fear it or reject it (for me it's calculus!).

If I were in that situation, I'd definately have to say something to her the next time she began running off at the mouth. You could simply ask her "Why do you feel that way?" the next time she says something negative about homosexuals. That way you can "politely" get your foot in the door to expressing your opposing views. I doubt her's will change but you can always try.

If you are a nonconfrontional person, you can simply ignore it.

Unfortunatly the seven year old will most likely associate her mothers "teachings" with everyday life. She'll grow up and think "Gays are stupid"... It's sad really...

According to my sister, who babysits this little girl, her mother goes on bashing gay people because her boyfriend has a cousin who is gay, and they got into a scuffle. Which is beyond juvenile, it makes me rage that it's something so immature as "I got into a fight with him so I'm gunna talk shit on him for being gay." Ugh.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - May 29th 2009, 05:45 PM

People like that are idiots. I think you should talk to your sister, and let her know that what they are saying is not right at all. You should tell her that she shouldn't base her opinions off of that of what her friends or friend's parents might say, but that she should respect people for who they are, no matter what other people have to say about them. If you think that her friends behavior is rubbing off on her, then you could talk to the friend's mom and ask her to please not talk that way around your sister, possibly?

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#9 (permalink)) Old
...and pitchfork red
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rosary

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - May 31st 2009, 07:43 PM

homophobia is such a widespread prejudice, i'm afraid there's not much you can do to avoid it altogether. one of my own friends is homophobic, and as a bisexual i am often uncomfortable when he uses gay as an insult.

however, this kind of small-scale discrimination can be easily dealt with, if approached with maturity. you're mad with this girl -- i would be pretty angry too -- but confronting her mother with that kind of fury isn't going to get you far. calm down and get your mother's support. that way, she's much more likely to respect your opinion.

keep calm, and definitely talk to your own sister about this.

best of luck.
r&r x

Have a free hug.

Why be stingy? Take another.

It's gonna be okay.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - June 1st 2009, 03:10 AM

She is only 7 I really doubt she knows what even "gay" means. She is bearly entering the "age of reason".

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - June 1st 2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau the Little Bird! View Post

When you hear the kid say something like that, try and manipulate her in the right direction. Kids will usually listen to the "cooler" people. Tell her what you think. And if the mom talks to you, you put her in her place. I know of you on TH and you know what you're talking about, and I think you could have a real conversation with an adult and knock her out in a debate.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - June 1st 2009, 04:42 PM

My little sister is the same. I do believe that she'll grow out of it because she is a little too young to understand. If you're that annoyed by it then you could always talk to her about it and help her understand?

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: 7 Year Old Sister's Friend: "Gays are stupid" - June 1st 2009, 05:38 PM

why do you care? she's only seven and probably doesn't even know what she's saying. if you're worried about her influencing your sisters views then make sure you talk to your sister and put her right, that gay people are in fact not "stupid."

she's only a kid, i wouldn't get too worked up about it.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread