TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dustin

Angry I am so done with my family. - January 15th 2009, 07:12 AM

I know this is a horrible thing to say but I am honestly done with my family. For good. I am no longer allowed to see my boyfriend of almost a year every again. He has never said anything out of line to them, he is not a bad influence to me. He is going back to school trying to get his life straightened out. I mean I know this is bad to say but if I don't get away from them I will more than likely commit suicide. I am in love with Kevin and I can't stand being away from him. Well the only time he has said something to anyone in my family was when my Mom was standing in my house talking to him like a piece of trash and he called her the same exact thing. Ya know if she cant take it then she shouldn't dish it out. I mean I just don't know why they are wanting to put me through this shit but what they don't know is that I am just going to leave and they will never see me again...
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I am so done with my family. - January 15th 2009, 07:37 AM

oh yeah and talking to them does no good whatsoever
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: I am so done with my family. - January 15th 2009, 08:40 AM

Hey Dustin, i know how you feel, parents can be a handful sometimes, i say they can act more imature than they say we do lol. But the thing is to not give up hope, i know exactly what your going through trust me, just its with my girlfriend... Anways suicide is NOT the answer! You have alot to live for! Have you talked to Kevin about this? Maybe he can help you get through this untill you are able to move out? If it is really bad maybe see if you can stay at a friends house for a few days and let things cool down? Give your parents sometime just to cool down and think about what they have done maybe? I know that its not easy, hell i have'nt even been able to do this, but maybe talking to them about how you feel about how they're acting would help? I know it can be really hard, but you have your whole life ahead of you, you cant just give up becuase your parents are making your life living hell. What would Kevin think if you left him? Iam sure he will understand and try and help you through this. Just try and talk to him, an adult or someone that can help you through this.

I doubt i was much help but i know exactly what your going through, if you EVER need to talk about family issues iam here, cuz i know what your going through and iam here to help, hope i helped but prob did'nt sorry
Stay well Dustin and remember, you have a reason to live, there are people that love you with all there heart and will miss you if you go. Just remember that, and like i said iam here if you eVER need to talk^^ Take care!

*Lost*

We May Be Miles Apart. But Your Always Closer To The Moon. And Brighter Than The Stars

PM me anytime! =D
  Send a message via MSN to lost_chil Send a message via Skype™ to lost_chil 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I am so done with my family. - January 15th 2009, 07:22 PM

the sad thing is... they think they are doing the right thing...
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: I am so done with my family. - January 15th 2009, 07:59 PM

Hey Dustin!

I know how hard this can be. I know, because I'm sorta going through the same thing. My family doesn't really like my girlfriend of over 2 years. But I've resorted to telling them that I don't care what the think and I'm happy with her. Try setting your foot down and telling them that you're an adult and they can't stop you.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I am so done with my family. - January 15th 2009, 08:16 PM

You're a 21 year old man ... fuck what they think.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I am so done with my family. - January 16th 2009, 05:23 AM

Hi Dustin!!

I hope you're OK.

Truth be told - the apron strings should have been cut two or three years ago. And if your parents were unable or unwilling to do it - then you should have. You're going to have to grow up. And for your own sake. And that means - in part - moving out on your own. I appreciate how scary that might be for you to do - but given the alternative - I'm not so sure you have a choice. You have out stayed your welcome. [So to speak] And that doesn't mean that your parents don't love you. It's just the way it is. And quite likely - if you did move out - your relationship with your parents would improve.

That said...

I think it was inappropriate for Kevin to talk to your mom like she was a piece of trash. And it doesn't matter if your mom was talking that way to him first. The moment your mom started putting him down is the moment Kevin should have stopped talking and walked away. 'Trash-talking' someone's mom is just not the right thing to do. 'Trash-talking our OWN mom is not the right thing to do. No matter how old one gets - their mom always outranks them. That's just how it is.

So....

In a nice, calm, healthy way - start making plans to find a place of your own. In the meantime - be polite to your family and start focusing on your future.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: I am so done with my family. - January 16th 2009, 04:58 PM

Hey Dustin!

Man I know what its like, my parents think they're doing the rigth thing to... but they're not... Just ignore them and put up with them ntill your really to move out, you dont need to put up with that shit, no body does, so just ignore them, when they start complaining just play a song in your head or somthing to distract you, you dont need to listen and they cant make you, go for a walk or somthing and cool off and let them cool off, everything will work out, you just have to wait it out till the end and hope for the best! Put your foot down and tell them you dont care what they think, its your life, and they cant controll it, your the one thats going to decide whats good for you, not them. So just try talking to them and TELLING them if you have to that you dont care and your tired of their BS.

Hope everything works out!

We May Be Miles Apart. But Your Always Closer To The Moon. And Brighter Than The Stars

PM me anytime! =D
  Send a message via MSN to lost_chil Send a message via Skype™ to lost_chil 
Closed Thread